Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone keep axolotls in FLA? (MIami?) Water Temps

T

tom

Are you able to maintain the water cool enough?

I'm getting ready to start a 30 gallon tank and I was curious about anyone already doing this.

My apartment is pretty cool, but I will have to check my temps once I set up the tank....

I guess the more water the easier it is to keep it cool? I've kept salt water tanks and plenty of fresh water tanks, but I never had to try and keep the water cool, just the opposite...

J

jennifer

If possible, use a screen lid instead of a solid hood. This will increase evaporation, thus decrease temp. Also consider a small fan over the tank, for the same purpose. Try to put the tank on the cooler (north) side of the apartment and out of sun.

In the long run, it will be tough keeping axies in FL. You might want to consider an actual chiller. Frozen water bottles can be used, but it's hot there for so many months of the year that it would be pretty tedious to use them.

One other thing: when choosing a filter, pick one with lowest possible wattage (which corresponds to heat production).

(Message edited by jennewt on February 24, 2006)

T

tcdrover

Thanks, I'm going to get the average temps for a week on my nephews FL Softshell tank and then I'll decide.

It looks like I may have to stick to boas & pythons...
url]

R

renee

I have mine in northwest FL, near Pensacola and so far she seems fine. What is the average temp for any axy tank btw??

kapo

Reaction score
18-20 degrees is good temp; but if it gets higher into the 20s not good for your axie. So better to try keep round 18degrees, lower temp is fine as long their tank temp is not less than 5degrees!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1