Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking pale

K

kate

hiya

after all my worries about not cycling my tank yesterday Pedro is ok today but he is not swimming around as much today. could this be due to him adjusting to his new home?

while i was admiring him and talking to him this afternoon i noticed that his gills (is that whats they're called?) are paler than yesterday. they are more pink rather than red. is this normal or is he sick?

also he spent a big chunk of this afternoon sitting directly under the spray from my filter. its not too strong as i have turned the spray bar to shoot into the side of the tank. he was even lifting his head up towards where the stream was coming from. does he just enjoy the flow?

sorry for so many questions i am just a very concerned new parent.

A

alex

hi kate
happy.gif

your axies gills will change colour with different temps. if its colder his metabolism will slow down which would mean less blood flow so the gills wont be as red. but in warmer conditions his gills will be more red because more blood flow. they will also go more red during feeding and when hes active.

your axie might be sitting underneth the spray bar because there would be more air around there.

J

joan

Good call, Alex. You're getting good at this!

My axies like to try to wedge themselves between the spray bar and the tank. The water is fresher there, and I think they just like the axololt massage.

P

peter

if the water has chlorine in it then this tends to make the gills go pink and even white

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!