Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oxy shell

M

maryjane

hi there, have had my 2 babies for 4 weeks now and seem to be at the pet shop ever other day.
I read that an oxy shell is beneficial for keeping the water clean (??) but since i put it in the water looks murky!! is that normal? i have been scooping out a portion and adding some filtered water but don't like to change too much at once. any comments? the pH is 7.3ish. can't afford all the other test kits for ammonia, nitrate etc.. (must look on trade me!)
how long does an oxy shell last?
thanks anybody!!! the more i am learning the less i feel know about these little cuties!

S

skylar

they last about 5-7 days if im remembering right. And no i don't think they keep it clean but they oxygenate the water and i think act as a pH buffer

A

alex

they are not necessary to have in an axie tank. i had one in my fish tank which i found to be useless. if you want to airate the tank you should just put a air stone in.

M

mary

ohmigawd- an air stone!!? what the hek is that- is that different to my air pump thingy?

M

mary

oh thanks- i still have to find doh for the other testing kits- do you do the ammonia/ nitrate testing? and if so where did you get the kit?- they look expensive!( ps- sorry to keep bugging you!)

A

alex

i get my ammonia and nitrate and nitrite testing kits from a pet strore called pet corner. i cant remember how expensive mine was. i only used it when i was cycling my tank and i use it to test the water when my axies get sick. and its alright your not bugging me im happy to help
happy.gif

M

mary

thanks heaps-
must go and stare at my babies for a while!

S

sharn

you connect tubing to your air pump and put a diffuser (air stone) on the end of the tube not attached to the pump, the airstone goes in the tank and creates hundreds of little tiny bubbles, moves water around to increase oxygen content.

i got my test kits for something like 15 each, the master test kit may be worth looking into, i also dont check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but i do test ph regularly. i will test for them if an axie gets sick/problem arises though!

kapo

Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering about the oxyshell as my sis uses it in her fishtank; but forgot about it till you asked about it! Also fyi, the master test kit is about $57-$70 depending on which petstore you buy it from. Can be bought on tm from $42-$45 (just check in pets/fish section there are 3/4 traders that sell it) Wish I had thought to check b4 buying from shop! But then you have to pay courier fee of $5-$7 making total $50/$52 anyway. It is a lot to pay, and when I first bought it the remark I got from hubby wasn't too pleasant!

J

joan

They're expensive, but definately well worth the price. Make sure you get a good one.

M

mary

hi again,
i have removed that darn oxy shell- it was definitely making the tank water murky and when i lifted it up all this white chalky stuff came off it- yik! not sure that i should listen to the animates staff about everything! she told me to turn the air pump off too!

S

sharn

hehehehe, thats pet shops for ya! (i also find i have probs with that shop). i only listen to one person who owns a shop and only because he has been in the business for over 40 years and everyone reccomends him

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1