Sharn/Alex or any other NZ based axy owners: Turkey basters!!!

kapo

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
My mother was babysitting the kids other day and tossed out my turkeybasters (arghhhhhhhhh!!!!) after kids told her what we used them for. Now I have to buy 5 replacements; but our $2shop/Pricebusters don't sell anymore (nor do other shops - have been on phone most of the day searching Wgtn shops) Do you have any shops near you that sell them; or do you have any suggestions/ideas in place of turkey baster! I didn't realise how much we used it until we didn't have one to use!

Unable to help you on where to buy them, But I am shocked your Mum Threw them out, is it beacause of the poop connection? But still did she for some reason think u only used them once?? For the life of me I just can't believe she threw them out without at least checking with you first, one maybe but the fact u had five?? would give at least some indication you needed them??

Yes she threw them out; most probably the poo connection. Prob. thought my toddlers would put them in their mouths (not that they were left lying around!) Anyway, think I have to crawl back on bended knee as I shouted and upset my mum. BTW my parents travel alot round North Isle. so only found out about our new axies when they came over to visit/babysit! It wouldn't have bothered me so much if the basters were readily available which is prob. what made it worse!

(Message edited by kapo on January 26, 2006)

i dont use a turkey baster to get my axie poop and left overs out the tank. most pet stores in wellington sell a gravel siphon. i use a gravel siphon, it doesnt matter if u have gravel or not(i have sand). and that seems to do the job fine.

I have siphon as well but a turkey baster is so much better for getting those lumps n poos out in between water changes. Poos and other bits don't always go up the siphon n stay there! And, we usually give it a once over each day if we spot anything instead of dragging out the siphon :

i have the same prob in Australia, cant find em any where ? and dont want to do a 10lt water change everytime i see poop...

Don't they carry them in the cooking appliance part of the grocery store? how about a cooking store?

Ive never ever sucked up my axies poop. Well the main reason is that i never find any. I think mine decomposed to quick.

woolworths etc sometimes sell em in their cooking isle thing. if you cant find any let me know and ill get ya some, our 2 buck shop has them i think (think mum got em from there). either way im sure ill be able to find ya some
happy.gif

i also hate getting out the siphon for a poop!

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>theresa wrote on Thursday, 26 January, 2006 - 08:27 :</font>

"Don't they carry them in the cooking appliance part of the grocery store? how about a cooking store?"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> - Well, you'd think so! But haven't found any to date. I even checked out all the NZ auctionsites
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Stipe wrote on Thursday, 26 January, 2006 - 08:31 :</font>

"I think mine decomposed to quick."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> LOL! I know they can disintegrate pretty quickly, or cud have been sucked into filter!.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Sharn Steadman wrote on Thursday, 26 January, 2006 - 09:34 :</font>

"either way im sure ill be able to find ya some "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> Thanks Sharn - I'll definitely let you know, Briscoes and Kmart have to check their stock and will let me know tomorrow. Will drop a note here if still no joy.

hey kapo, do you know anywhere in wellington that sells snails or java moss?.

Hi Alex, which part of Wgtn are you based? Only 2 places I have recently seen snails (sorry haven't seen any java moss) was at Animatez and Animalz petshops. Can't remember how much Animates was; but Animalz in Johnsonville has tiny ones for 0.75c But if you are registered with trademe; there is a trader called mysticvampyre . She is selling 10 ramshorn snails for $5; pickup in Porirua or will ship! If that's a help. Also, have you visited this site http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/ (My sister is registered with it); quite a few Wgtnians on that site, may be able to point you in right direction for getting java moss in Wgtn, possibly cheaper than lfs too.

I only thought of this later...
I use a Plastic Sauce bottle, the type that one take on Picnic's or at BBQ's
52672.jpg

I read a post here where someone was using one.. and thought this will do the job till I find a Turkey baster.

Hey thanks Jenny what a great idea! :D (Never even thought of that, unless Hubby has tossed them out to recycle collection!)

I can see making a killing in profits here. I can buy turkey basters for $0.99, ship them to Aus. and NZ for jacked up prices and make a lot of money!
biggrin.gif

I think shipping would be 5 or 6 times the cost of the item itself. lol.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Kapo wrote on Thursday, 26 January, 2006 - 13:02 :</font>

"unless Hubby has tossed them out to recycle collection!)"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Not sure what you mean, I had to buy mine from the supermarket? cost me a little over $1 au

Oh, yeah we do baste things but turkeys were never really a big thing over here for Xmas (poss. due to expense but is becoming a bit more common now) ours have always been chicken and the traditional Xmas leg of ham. And, our basting is usually done using a large spoon or the basting brush. The turkey basters have only been in a few shops the past few years; and that is prob. only because of the American/Brit immigrants.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Jenny Whiley wrote on Thursday, 26 January, 2006 - 13:28 :</font>

"Not sure what you mean, I had to buy mine from the supermarket? cost me a little over $1 au"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Well, we recycle our containers/tins/bottles, wash and chuck into a recycling bin which gets picked up once a week by local council. I never really buy empty plastic containers - mine is just washed/reused once it is empty, or chucked in the recycle bin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back