I'm baaaacckkkk...............

T

tiff

so i went and bought the 20 gallon long tank today, now what i need to know is does the water get filled all the way to the top?, do the axies need air bubbles from stones? and i bought the wrong sand i think but hopefully you all can tell me.

The sand is t-rex bone aid ....pure natural calcium carbonate substrate "calci-sand"
it says it is a fine granular calciferous sand specially prepared to be the ideal reptile cage substrate for snakes, lizards, tortoises, and turtles. it also says
its the only substrate for reptiles diesigned to be not only ingestible but digestible when swallowed. says it contains calcium...
anyway thought i was buying marine sand until a closer look revealed what i bought, please let me know if its ok
thanx in advance

I don't think that "sand" is sand at all. Its just liek baking soda, it will turn the water really high alkalinity, and who knows what else. Fill the tank to the top, and go out and buy some sand at whatever place sells "play sand" or some other type that Sharn has that I forget the name of...

thanx soooo much for the quick response, can you tell me if i can fill it to the top with water and do i need air stones for bubbles for these guys or is it a no no

you dont need a air stone. you can fill it to the top but make sure it has a lid incase they get out. you do not need the water right to the top. the sand sharn got is called plasters sand. i have builders sand and it works good. try out some hardware stores for sand but ask about any added chemicals.
happy.gif

okay great and thanks!!!the tank if officially set up "cycling", so just one more question i used a bottled bacteria to jump start, and i also used something to remove the chlorine, that will be ok won't it.......i hope so otherwise i have to start over lol. also it is technically cycling right now isn't it even without the sand?, and should i buy a small fish to put in the tank to help the cycling process?

thanx yet again!!

the bottled bacteria is useless. the bottled bacteria and chlorine remover are fine in the tank. yes your tank is technically cycling right now but it will cycle faster with some sort of substrate for the bacteria to colonise on. you could buy a small fish but some people think its cruel as when the ammonia peaks it burns the fish. you should just put your axies poop in there and fish food flakes to speed it up.
happy.gif

k i'll get sand in it 2morrow, and i can put some fish flakes in there then, i don't have the "poop" yet cuz he is still at the fish store. he's pd 4 but i wanted to get a tank set up for him first.

ok thats alright. do you know anybody with a already established tank?. you could ask to have some of there filter cartridge because that holds a lot of benificial bacteria. if your wondering why the bottled bacteria is useless its because the bacteria in the bottle are dead so its just pointless to use it, a lot of other people on this site would agree with me.

yeah actually i do know someone lol, me.........my next question is do i float the axie when he comes home, i keep calling him a he is there a way to tell.............

i really appreciate all of your help THANK YOU

yes float him.

if you get 'bio spira' it will work, if it aint refridgerated its poop.

have a look on.. i think its the genetics page of www.axoltol.org it has some pics down the bottom of one of the pages, they generally start to show the signs around 15-20cm sometimes more.

hope this helped and i hope you enjoy your axie. also a thumbs up to you for cycling the tank first!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back