Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Searched for Chemical Info

J

jenny

Hey Guys
It's probably here somewhere but I can't really find the exact info i want... smiles.

Ok I know from reading http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#pH
That PH is ideal at 7.4 - 7.6 and that levels between 6.5 and 8 are acceptable. Over or above not good at all.

But I can't find anything that gives me similar info about Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate

What are exactly the Safe, Dangerous and Ideal levels of these 3 plus what sort of reading should I be getting to consider my tank cycled properly?
I know it might take up to 4 weeks to achieve this with regular water changes etc. and I know things should peak before they drop.
But, I just want to know the levels I am looking for and what is dangerous.

Thanks anyone who can give me some detailed info... smiles

S

stipe

ammonia should be 0 along with nitrite at 0 and nitrate should be bellow 40. If your asking what the peak lvls should be while cycling, well that varies.

T

theresa

Even better, keep the nitrates at 20 or below...
smile6.gif

J

jenny

ok you say should be O for ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrate should be below 40, so that's the ideal, but I also asked for what is safe and what is dangerous..
As with PH levels.. below 6.5 is not good and above 8 is I would say dangerous, but bewteen these is acceptable, and the ideal is 7.4 to 7.6
I would like this sort of guide concerning Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.. Please.

S

sharn

ammonia- safe: 0, dangerous: above .25ppm, ideal:0

nitrite- safe:0, dangerous: (not sure but i assume anything above 0), ideal: 0.

nitrate safe:40ppm, dangerous: above 40ppm, ideal: around 20ppm

hope that was what you were looking for?

J

jenny

Thanks Sharn, this is the type of thing I wanted..
I have only had the test kit for 3 Days
I have taken my axies back out of the tank, because yesterday
Ammonia: 1 and I wasn't sure if it was ok
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 5
PH: 7.2 so i knew that was ok,
but worried about the others
The first day
PH: 7.2
Ammonia:.25
Nitrate about 7.5 because it was a colour half way between 5.0 and 10.
Nitrite:.25
but I knew Ammonia was a problem so when it rose by so much I worried.
So Just needed to know if i was worrying unnesesarily.. smiles.

Today the reading without axies in tank are
PH 7.6
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 5
Nitrite .25
I am testing after i change the water? Should I do it before and after.

S

stipe

my cycling tank has the same as you at the moment but with ammonia at 0, and the others are liek ours with nitrite at 0.25 and nitrate at 5. So im askign the same question, can i put him in if im moving all his gravel etc with him?

S

sharn

if you move all the gravel you will speed up the cycle, it should be ok just moniter water chemistry.

jenny, sounds like your tanks just starting the cycle... if you want to keep the axies in there do daily water changes of 30% or so

J

jenny

Sharn,
I have been doing the 30% water changes, do I check the levels before or after water changes.

I am also having problems because of the heat, even with an A/C the water without any cooling is 26 degrees, My freezer can't keep up with the demand for frozen bottles of water, since they melt so fast and i can't get the temp below 20, which i know is ok at a pinch, but due to my freezer not coping, all my own food is getting warm in the fridge, and my frozen food is thawing, so have chosen to just keep the little guys in an esky till it all cools down and by then the tank should be cycled. Hopefully by next summer i will be able to afford a chiller.
When u say move the gravel, I am not sure what u mean, move it out of the tank, or move it around?

C

charlie

My levels are coming back down after only a couple/few weeks... Used some rocks and plants that had been in already established aquariums. Fish and yabbies in there.

Pick my axies up next weekend!
happy.gif

A

alex

thats awesome charlie!. be sure to post some pictures of your new axies!.
happy.gif

S

sharn

oh if you move all the gravel from an established tank it will be sort of like an instant cycle (assuming theres enough and all plants etc are moved too)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1