Mealworms

B

ben

G'Day,

I have been reading a few of the articles in the beginners section and I someone suggested I shouldnt be feeding mealworms every day. I feed my Axolotl between 5 and 10 mealworms every two or three days. I also find that garden worms create a lot of mess in the tank so I dont bother with them and he also throws them up with bile.
He is a little on the fat side but appears to be happy/healthy and he knows when a meal is coming.
Should I mix it up with something else and if so what? 2nd qn. There was a discussion a while back about an axolotl swimming up against the tank and trying to get out. I heard that this may be when mating season has begun as I noticed my axolotl trying to hop out as well. Is this the case?

Thanks, Benny

hey benny, mealworms are not a very good choice as they are hard and can constipate your axolotl. earthworms are a great staple. depending on the size and age of your axolotl, the amount you feed im now is fine. maybe the article you were reading refered to younger axies.

i dont think that swimming up against the tank and trying to get out is a sign of mating. could just be the warmer weathers increasing metabolism therefore your axie will be more active.

alex

I rinse my worms, cut them to the appropriate size, rinse them well, and then hand feed. no fuss, no muss.
G'night. (...being an american, I LOVE the G'day...
Wish I could say it here without folks thinking I'm a fruit cake!

I feed my 2 adult axies mealworms 1 or twice a week besides their normal food. I don't have any problems with them. I just think there is a lot of fat in the mealworms and don't contain the right vitamins and stuff for a regular meal

You can pm here about it (click on her name, then look for the pm button). Non-axie or caudata posts get deleted.

i used to keep reptiles before i kept axolotls and the only advantage i can see to mealworms are that they are cheap and extremely easy to breed.
but i find that anything that can chew through wood, plaster and some types of plastic are not ideal food for anything that doesn't chew its food or any animal that is under the weather as they are very well known for eating their way out.
always make sure that you crush the head and jaws before feeding to axolotls , better safe than sorry.

also (just been reading through fish books) it says if you can get the ones that have freshly shed (i think theyre more yellow?) they will be softer

Thanks Jinny, will do.

Hey Sharn and Peter,
I was talking to my cousin who had a reptile lizard and fed him meal worms. He went away on holidays overseas and his parents fed the lizard nothing but meal worms while he was gone. The Lizard was dead when he got back, so I appreciate the advice. I did know that the meal worms like to bite as they bite me when I am putting them in the tank, but I wasnt too concerned because they have usually drowned by the time they are in the bottom of the tank or in Bruce's mouth but I will feed them pellets or earth worms now even if there is a bit of mess.

Benny

I have removed the noncaudate related posts from this thread. Further infractions will result in the thread being closed.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back