Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Little Axies in Fridge

J

jenny

Due to discovering my tank was to warm for my little family addition. 26 degrees, even with A/C running, I have put them in the fridge to cool them, my question is, how often should I feed them since I have read that they eat less when cooler? or did I read this wrong? They are still only little still virtually babies, and I have been advised to feed them twice a day,when not in the fridge. I don't want to offer food too often if they don't want or need it, becaue the water would need changing too often and this would also upset them?
I have not fed them since last night or putting them in the fridge, I just offered some worms and they are not interested. as they are young i want them to eat. What do I do??

J

jinny

What size? Many medium sized axies are fed every other day normally. Mine are around 2.5 cm, so I feed them everyday.

With no filter, water changes are necessary and they'll appreciate clean water. I don't know how you could be upsetting them, unless you've been removing them form the water completely as you change it?

J

jenny

these guys are approx 6 or 7 cm long, I have been advise by another on here to feed the twice a day. Now you say only once a day... mmmmmm

I do understand the water change stuff etc, and my reference to upsetting them was more the fact if the worms die and are left in the tank, I will have to change the water more often, hence upsetting them. I do have to take them out of the container, which I read is ok refer to quote below, to remove all the dead worms from the container.
Quote from the Indiana University's Axolotl Colony.
We change the water of axolotls housed in individual bowls by carefully pouring it, axolotl and all, into a plastic colander. We clean the bowl with scrub mixture (baking soda and salt mixed together in a 2:1 ratio), put in a fresh pitcher of water, and return the axolotl to its home. The axolotls will tolerate short periods of time out of the water very well. They are able to continue gas exchange as long as their skin is moist, but never leave them out of the water long enough for their skin to dry out or become "tacky."

The dead worms go through the holes but not the axy. but I don't want to be doing this too often either.

S

sharn

i consider medium axies to be around 10-15cm, seeing as how max size is around 30cm.

i would think them being in the fridge would make them grow alot slower too. is there any chance you could just put them in an esky? not as cold as a fridge but cool enough for them to be happy plus eat often. at 6-7 cm i would feed them once a day, but its sort of a harder matter to judge. i have a 5cm baby who i feed twice a day.

since theyre in small containers you will have to change the water everyday, take out any uneaten food after 15 mins to minimise fouling of the water. take them and the old water into a new container/jug, rinse the container out, fill with same temp water (make sure you dechlorinate it!) and place your axie into the new water.

worms can live quite a while in water in my experience, i found a two day old worm still alive in my Oscar tank, not sure how that one happened!

kapo

Reaction score
Jenny, when we got our axies about 2mths ago, they were that size - 7cm, they are now 12cm+; we tried to feed ours twice a day but they didn't always eat twice a day. One would eat all the time, which is probably why she is slightly larger than others, one ate every 2nd day, one once a week, and the others only once a day. It was a bit of hit and miss, and a bit of worrying. Then gradually as feeding sorted itself out would feed once a day until about 3 wks ago, when we changed feeding to once every 2nd day. We feed in the evening. This works for ours, but you shud try and see what works for yours (ie: 1 or 2 feedings a day).

Also, had 2 of our axies in the fridge recently. I keep a separate turkey baster for the fridge occupants and would suck up any big bits, of uneaten/puked food or poo; just b4 I do the waterchange. Rather than use a colander, actually never even thought of that one, I pour the fridged fresh dechlorinated water, into spare containers and just transfer the axies with a net from the dirty water to their saltbaths then from there to their clean containers. Then wash their old containers out ready for tomorrows waterchange/saltbaths.

Found mine didn't eat while in fridge; so took Fifi out other day but still keep her in container, doing waterchanges daily. She won't handfeed while she's in the container so I leave only a few bits of worm in overnight and check first thing. If they're uneaten, just turkey bast them out and waterchange later in day.

One positive thing bout the daily waterchanges is my garden has been flourishing with all the axie water! Flowers are huge!

J

jenny

Thanks Kapo and sharn, that's the sort of help I needed. I think I will try the esky idea as I do want them to feed and the temp in the fridge is at 8 degrees. when i take them out they swim sideways and that worries me.. if i let the water warm up a little out of the fridge their swimming style returns to normal. So for more than one reason i will use the esky.

Yes as I have quiet a few plants I am sure they will be most delighted with the axie water.. smiles..
Thanks again guys for you detailed help.

E

edward

A axolotl that is growing and is being kept at refrigerator temperatures (which should be about 45 F (7.2 C) may only need to be fed once a week to satiation (there were studies with other Ambystomids that showed that once a week feeding at 59 F (15 C) was more than sufficient to support growth and reproduction. At temperatures closer to 65 F, depending on the amount of food offered, twice a week feedings are often sufficient to maintain proper body weight but three times a week is probably a better rule of thumb.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1