Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DUH.....

T

theresa

I can not figure out how to put an avatar with my name.... i have a macintosh comp.
Obviously, challenged..... lol

R

rob

u obviously need to get a new computer and give me ur old one
happy.gif

R

rheann

Theresa, email me the picture you want as a profile. I will re-size it for you and email it back to you as a JPEG file. After which you can upload it to your user name by going through your profile and editing your picture.

R

rheann

Mac pics can be sent to a window's correct? Is is saved as a zip or something else? I always thought they could go from one to another.

I'm not too brainy with computers sometimes :p

T

theresa

hey Thanks everyone...
Har har... you Are the jokster Rob...!! macs rule!
Ok... thanks Rheann, I just got a new camera and will try to take a decent photo. if i cannot follow directions in the profile, i will e-mail to you.
rofl.gif

R

rob

happy.gif
i try anyway lol
never had a Mac,
mines a custom built and painted "by me"
Samsung 19" TFT 4ms monitor
Modded Thermaltake case, 480w thermaltake psu
P4 3.4Ghz 800fsb
Asus P4C800 Mobo with raid
2Gig Corsair XL DDR400 2-2-2-5 ram
Pioneer DVD burner
LG DVD Rom
Geforce 6800GT 256Mb vid card
2 x 200gb western digital SATA drives
high definition tv card
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card
Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround speakers 500w rms
all the bells and whistles included
happy.gif

getting a bit old now, soon to build a new one...

J

joanne

Sounds like you need to get building so you can send your old "bells and whistles" to me over in Perth W.A. That lot makes my "basic" PENTIUM look like COMMODORE 64 'circa' 1983
biggrin.gif

R

rob

done deal
happy.gif

forgot to mention my 24Mbit down and 1Mbit up internet connection too
happy.gif
u want that too ? ;)
only really get 17Mbit down and 1Mbit up though
thats a dload of a 900Mb file in about 8-9 mins
happy.gif

IE: 1 x movie in about 8-9 mins....

(Message edited by kharmakazi on January 06, 2006)

A

alex

rob thats an AWESOME computer u got, mines only 2.4 ghz yours must be so fast!! and a internet connection that fast makes my 56 k modem look like a snail lol. do you know much about linux? my freind gave me a computer with the os linux, im still trying to get used to it but cant seem to figure out how to connect to the internet??!?.

A

alex

also one more thing, how much did that setup cost you? excluding the screen and the speakers.

R

rob

Thx Alex
happy.gif

sorry dont know much about Linux, but read its lots better than XP etc. "less buggie and more secure" i too would like to setup a linux system "maybe a server" but have to do some more research first... good thing about Linux is that it's free too
happy.gif

cant really be exact about cost of my system, but @ a guess i would say about $1500-$2000 without monitor and speakers and about $2800-$3300 with monitor and speakers..

wow i just worked it Out and it's actually
vid card $800
CPU $450
Motherboard $350
HDTV card $170
2Gb Corsair XL ram $700+
Case $250
PSU $160
DVD Burner $150
DVD Rom $70
2 x WD 200Mb Harddrives $400+
Soundcard $400
Just that comes too $3900
then $ 760 Monitor and $550 speaker setup...

A

alex

hmm thats a good price!!. i also heard its less buggie and more secure.

A

alex

lol true that. im looking for a mother board at the moment, im looking for a mecer or ati. got any ideas?.

T

theresa

HOLY CRAPOLY !! Rob!!! .... So i definitely stand to be corrected.... YOUR computer rules!! You are the man!!
Alex, linux is great.! Don'y you have to have a service provider to get on the internet?

A

alex

yes i do, i just cant figure out how to use linux, its really weird aye. ill eventually get the hang of it.

R

rob

lol Theresa my comp doesnt really rule as it is now older technology compaired to the stuff out now
sad.gif

from what iv'e heard about Macs they are very easy to use and "very" stable
happy.gif

Alex it really depends on what u want to do with ur comp ? IE: a gamming machine etc ? i'm getting a bit older now but still love my gamming
happy.gif
so mines setup for gamming/entertainment u also need to decide if u want onboard sound/video etc ?
my preference is to have seperate video card and sound card "better performance" hers a link to a very good site with moocho information about anything to do with computers and also gives u comparisons on different brands etc..
http://www.tomshardware.com/
it can be a bit of a confusing site but stick with it cause it's a very informative site
happy.gif

for ur internet connection i would type
"internet connection on Linux ?" into google and see what info it comes up with ?
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=internet+connection+Linux+%3F&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
and do lots of reading
happy.gif

it's a bit hard to explain over the net
sad.gif

Linux is deffinately more complicated than XP etc... but worth it so iv'e heard
happy.gif

A

alex

ok thanks rob!! im also into my gaming, ill check out that link.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1