Mosquito larvae

J

jenni

Are mosquito larvae dangerous to my axolotl? How do I get rid of them? Am I going to have a mosquito swarm in my house in a few days??

um, no they are not dangerous, allthough the larvae might be in danger of being eaten. How did you wind up with mosquito larvae?

haha i had some mozzies breeding in my big tank last summer- id wake up everyday with new itchy bites :S

no they are not a problem at all, my baby axie eats them and i currently have a bucket outside for them to breed in

Jenni - I had them in my tank once
happy.gif
They are harmless. I also though perhaps they would hurt my axolotls lol. They are actually just blood worms, which are fed to baby axolotls, so your axolotls may or may not see them as a snack, if they can see them
happy.gif

Thanks guys! I'm not sure how the larvae got in there Jeff, I think they just came out of the tap when I did a water change last. I scooped out most of them anyway but next time I might not bother. But I dont want to get bites!

the mozzies breed naturally in water so may have decided your tank looked nice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back