Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starting out

O

ossie

Hello,
im thinking of gettin a axie.
how much will it cost to get everything i need???

J

jojo

Hey Ossie,
I paid $20 each for mine, thats a varible price depending on where you go and how old the axie is (thats just wat i have personally noticed, older axies cost more).Now thats the axie covered. Regarding tank and set up... that really depends on what you find for what price really. When l got my FIRST axie i began my mission with $200 (thats the axie, tank and whole setup) and l was sweet. But yet ive just bought a tank alone for $200, so you see it depends.

Others might add how much they spent and it may give you estimate expenses.
??
Just an idea really. Not sure how much it will help.
jojo

S

sharn

please visit www.axolotl.org
it depends on where you live. if you just want one axie i suggest:
60x30x30 cm tank- second hand around $30
sand or river rocks- approx $10 depending on type
filter- anywhere from $15
food- approx $10 for a couple months supply
siphons, water treatments, test kits etc- approx $50
decorations- depends on the type
axie itself- anywhere from a couple of dollars

theres a on going list to what you could have, this list is only a approx guide to a start kit.
you could always pic up a whole setup from your local newspaper etc. i think my whole setup cost around $250, but my tank was super cheap ($90 for a 4 footer, the guy custom makes the out of good second hand glass)

feel free to add anything i missed out guys, im super tired
happy.gif

S

suzanne

As with Jojo, I too spent about $200 on my first set up..However I found there were may extras I bought in between which probably added up to another $200.

Since then, I've got another setup just about ready to go...The tank I got second hand for $50 (3 foot) plus about 20 in silicone to reseal, then $160 on a canister filter, $30 on sand, $40 on tank decorations.

So as everyone has pointed out it really depends on how keen you are. For a basic setup for 1 axolotl you can get away with $200 including the axolotl.

I think the ultimate cost depends on the individuals preferences...
happy.gif

C

casey

I spent a lot on my axolotl. I got a top of the range tank for $670 and a chiller for $620, plus plants, sand, pipes, test kits, nets, rocks, water conditioner, food and everything probably cost about $150-$200 all up.

My axies each cost $25.

I did it the expensive way, you should really shop around and find out a way to do it cheap but well.

Good luck!

J

jeff

This may be a rather dumb sounding question, but for new hatchlings, would pea sized and larger smooth gravel work? at least for a week or 2, or should I just have nothing in the tank?

andrew

Reaction score
I would have nothing rather than gravel. Two weeks wouldn't be too long to go without a substrate.

I know pea sized might sound large but you will be surprised at how large the things they can eat are.

I would really recommend sand! its about the same price as gravel and in my opinion looks better too.

But if you can't afford it or whatever then no substrate would be better than an axie with a belly full of rock(S)

S

sharn

i have never had no substrate but ive been told they dont really mind it and im sure alot of people dont have anything to make cleaning easier ie breeders. some people have bare bottoms with just a few large rocks

J

joan

For hatchlings, having a bare bottom is SO much more convenient. I don't give mine substrate until they're 6 inches or so. It's just easier to clean up after them and monitor their food intake.

J

jeff

my blackworm order did not get processed in time, so untill tuesday, i have very little to feed them. besides a little bit of daphnia and some tiny mayfly larvae, what esle should i use? chopped bloodworms perhaps?

R

rheann

Chopped bloodworms are just fine. If you have a petsmart near you, they usually have frozen cubes in stock. Other pet shops will probably have them in stock too
happy.gif

J

jeff

Thanks Rheann! I allready have the bloodworms and I will try some today. Has anyone tired the cubes of fishfood that consist of frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, and other larvae? I forget the name of it.

J

jeff

I have got daphnia and mayfly larvea to feed them now, and I have been capturing them and putting them in a container with just food water. I am wondering how fast these guys typically grow, they are about 2 weeks old now and the size of about 12-16 mm.

S

sharn

capturing them? from a pond? if you are i would stop, they harbour all sorts of bacteria when wild caught- dont wana pass them on to your little babies!

J

jennifer

If you don't already have some of the equipment, yes, it would cost at least that much.

S

stephanie

Hi i'am steph and i'am from australia and new to the axie world i'am getting one for chrissie it's golden with pink gills called nymph. i have gravel at the bottem of the tank and it's bigger than pea size is that okay?

T

theresa

I would say that is about what i have paid. However, i only bought a 10 gallon which was on sale. Came with hood, two compact flourescent, and glass top. now i realize i do not need the hood or lights. Sand and driftwood, about 25.00, filter, 30.oo. my axie was about 25.oo. there you have it for me....

S

sharn

hi steph. you will be surprised at what axies can fit in their mouths! sand really is the best option along with nothing on the bottom.
is your tank cycled? if its not you should put off getting your axie until it is- its a hassle doing daily water changes. have a read of http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml that will help you a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1