How do you ...

T

theresa

For future reference, how do you all take your axie out of the tank?
please be specific. if you use a net, how do you do it? Do they ever get stuck?
With your hand? (good lord...slippery when wet?)

I use a net, try to angle it underneath them, then lift upwards and cover it so that they don't jump out of it before putting them in a bucket and gently guide them out of the net.

I got one of the smaller sized plastic bowls from the U. of Kentucky ambystoma website. I immerse it on its side in my tank and gently herd my axie into it, then lift the bowl and axie out of the tank without actually touching him. I do this when cleaning the tank and/or making water changes.

While I've got him isolated, I give him the axolotl pellets I also got from U. of K. I can simply drop them over his head; when they sink and hit his head he instinctively backs up and sucks them into his mouth. He can do this repeatedly, almost like a circus act!

I use a thick plastic bag that you take fish home from pet shops in. I immerse it sideways in the water and herd Sparky (my ax) in with a fish net. I can even just scoop her into the bag slowly and gently, she just sort of floats there and lets herself be scooped! Then I pick bag up, tie it with a rubber band, pull her out, and sit her in a big bowl while I clean the tank!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back