Fluffing gills

T

tina

What does it mean when the axies "fluff" their gills? Are they taking a breath?

I think it means that they are pushing water away or something, because they are too lazy to move. I can't remember what this achieves but it does something.

Although, I could be entirely wrong.

They take breaths through going up to the surface and gulping it, or through the "fluffy" bits - this is the part where a gas exchange occurs (or something like that) but this happens without them moving their gills.

Wait for a better answer, though.

you mean when they sort of flap their gills every so often? I've wondered what that means too. Haha too lazy ^_^ I used to think it might be a communication thing but nahh, like you said it is probably a gas exchange thing?

yea, i think its to push water away to get new water with oxygen or something like that. lol there so lazy
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's how they move fresh water over their gills. It's much easier to flap their gills than it is to actually move. Mine will do it in unison. It's rather amusing.

nah just lazy. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back