Skinny?

T

theresa

never having had an axie before, i do not know how plump they should look.
I brought henry home yesterday. I fed him a half cube of bloodworm last night.yowzer, he almost took off the bottom of the chopsticks ! LOL.
When I look down on him from above, i notice indentations where all his ribs are. not gaunt... but can definitely see each rib. He is black, with spotted sides. i was told he is about 6 months old.
What do you think? Should his sides be round and smooth? how much should i feed if he is skinny?

tried taking photo's but he was too dark,and i am too poor a photographer... any descriptions of healthy plumpness / Should you be able to distinguish ribs?

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/48092.html?1132005205

I hope that link works - these are my two axies - they are too skinny in this photo, one has fattened up and the other has gotten skinnier.

Have a look at other people's axies in the axie gallery and you'll soon notice a general pattern in what's healthy and what's not. They should be roundish when you look at them from above but not so big that it looks like it would be hard for them to move.

i think what you are meaning by ribs is they natural... body shape? mine have ridges, that look like ribs going along most of their bodies. there are also some pics on www.axolotl.org that shoould be able to give you a healthy indicator, they are above shots. remember though that females are ALOT fatter than males

It's cute.
happy.gif

Thanks so much! Yes... this totally helped. I did think that the ridges were ribs sticking out, ( I think they are.) But now I know what a healthy one looks like. mine is a bit thin, but will try to fatten him up.
T hank you for all your responses and help. It means allot to a beginner who wants to do the best we can. Lots of questions, and you folk have the experience to share. !

Those are costal ridges, not ribs. All ambystomatidae have them and they're normal.

I think a good rule of thumb is that your axolotls body should be at least as wide as the widest point on its head.

See,,, I'm learning so much. Thanks Joan. so, he's not as skinny as i thought. maybe you could add some info to my "confused thread " in the free for all section.
i found earthworms at the petco, and the tetra min turtle pellets that were recommended. i'll try to post a photo of henry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back