Seeking advice on food for newly hatched axies

J

jon

I am planning on purchasing some axolotl eggs and I have already purchased some brine shrimp eggs. I was just curious on what everyones experience has been on how long you should feed brine shrimp for. I plan on switching them over to frozen bloodworms and other forms of non-live food once they have developed their sense of smell and don't eat based off of movement. How long does it generally take from the time of hatching to develop this sense?

Plan on hatching brine shrimp for at least 3 weeks, probably longer. If you can find a source of live blackworms, then you can wean them off the brine shrimp sooner.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back