Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

17 has become 10!

J

jeff

Well I knew I was goinq to lose a few, but only 10 of the 17 axie babies have made it so far, and I am worried about 2 more, one I saw floating on its back and I thought It was dead, but i touched it and it moved and started swimming again. But It still goes off "axis" once in a while. Could this be temporary behaivor, or is this just a sign the end is near?

Question 2
I got the blackworms finally but alot of the are huge and scare the piss out of the axolotals. There are small ones that they could eat and there are some daphnia left, but I wish they would eat the worms. I do see the presence of food in the body and poop coming out, so at least they are not starving. And those blackworms are expensive! I have yet to spend over 10 bucks on a worm related purchess, and a pound costs 23 bucks! Im trying to figure out a way to seprate out the smaller ones but its goign to be time consuming whatever the case. Any ideas?

H

hailz

place a few worms together on a flat surface and chop them up, they will still wiggle around after being chopped up and the babies will eat these. This is how i fed my babies blackworms.
lick.gif

J

joan

Or mix the daphnia and the blackworms together and the babies will accidently ingest the blackworms, and they'll realize they're a food source. They'll get bigger quickly, so don't worry about finding smaller blackworms.

J

jeff

Well I switched the container from a tubberware to the 10g again, and they seem to be doing better, the blackworms seem to have a natural ability for staying away from the kids, but I did shop some up and the kids are still eating. I am almost convinced that it was a oxygen issue above all else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1