Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats the best way for ..

K

kevan

Whats the best way for cycling. I have read tons and tons of information and its different every time. I have order eggs and will be shipped to me in a week or two. Whats the fastest way. I hear just having a feeding fish in the tank and changing the water helps. Or just putting brine shrimp in and changing the water bit by bit every 3 days.
ITS FRUSTRATING. HELP :eek:

S

sharn

the fishless cycle.

your tank wont be cycled by the time you get your eggs sadly but you will need to do daily water changes anyway to get un-eaten food out anyway so that will keep your ammonia down.

if you have access to established filters and a bit of substrate add that to your tank. this will start off the bacteria colony. if yuo dont have access to a filter and substrate putting small bits of fish food etc in each day will give the bacteria to feed on. this is the slower method though, could take over a month! you do no water changed during this and have to test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate weekly. you will see your ammonia rise and drop, then the same with nitrite then nirtrate will show up.

i advise not putting all your eggs into a tank but containers instead. young axies are cannibals and with them all together you could end up with only one! another benefit of keeping them seperate (say a few to a container depending on the size) is if a few get fungus or something it wont spread to the rest and wipe out your group!
hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions you might have
happy.gif

K

kevan

substrate?

Biology. A surface on which an organism grows or is attached.

haha thats the definition... but can you be more specific =/ im not the brightest child here.. sooo if i buy like 20 maruchan cups from cubfoods and eat them and clean them out realllyyy well not using hazardous material.. could i put the babies in them forsay?

also.. earthworms are a substance for axies, do they have to be cultured or can i just get them at a regular bait shop?
i was planning on cutting them up into uber small pieces once the axies were able to eat

thanks for the help sharn, i really appreciate it!

K

kevan

OH AND ALSO.. im talking to some friends from school about their filters and they say i could possibly use one of theirs.. but the thing is they havent used in quite awhile.. would that work well also?

J

jeff

"but the thing is they havent used in quite awhile.. would that work well also?"

Nope, it has to be something that has live bacteria in it. Im not sure why goldfish is such a bad idea, but they produce lots of ammonia and poopie which in turn causes the bacteria to muiltiply. I am almost sure the main part of cycling a tank just means that something is living in it and starting out the nitrogen cycle as a normal, natural aquatic environment. Substrate means the stuff at the bottom, rocks(not recomended) and sand(recomended) after a while the substate becomes saturated with bacteria that grow using the waste and produce nitrogen. Then, plants can use that for fertilizer and they produce oxygen and so forth. At times i have wondered if peeing in the tank whould work as well.

S

sharn

earthworms are fine as long as they come from a chemical free source. out bait shops dont sell worms so im not sure how clean theyre be. earthworms are a great staple.
putting babies in those things would be fine as long as it was super clean (no food traces or detergent traces at all). putting a few to a contanier lets you sort out sizes so they dont eat each other, stops parasties/ diseases spreading around and you can make sure they all get fed!
jeff, the main part in cycling is the bacteria growing enough to convert all these things to less toxic forms. the fish itself just gives the bacteria something to feed on, but you can just put pellets, poop etc in for the bacteria to eat
happy.gif

K

kevan

ah blast, i guess i couldnt do that since of course id want to eat the ramen first and the flavor soaks into the styrofoam..
does anyone else know anything about earthworms and bait shops?

J

jeff

What do you need to know? Baitshops sell worms(and sometimes newts) and they are fine to feed to axies and newts, but no diffrent from worms that you could find in your backyard. Both have the same parasites that as I have come to learn, are not that much to worry about.

K

kevan

ahh you answered my question. I didnt know if they had harmful bacteria or not.. thanks jeff

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1