Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature question

K

kyle

Just wondering about their temperature range... in the summer here in the northern US, it gets in the mid nineties at least, which I assume is bad for them; at the same time, people have said they can keep them in ponds outside that don't ice over "too much"--up here the ice gets pretty thick, so I can't really think of an area that _doesn't_ get this high in the summer and would still not have too cool of temperatures in the fall. Not that it's a big deal, because I want to keep them indoors... but right now, I have no air conditioning (not really necessary for the few days that get in the 90's). So... what do I do with them in the summer? The basement should be in the 80's...

J

jordan

even the 80's is too high, the tanks temperature should be between 57-68 degrees Farenheit.

K

kyle

thought so... so I am sure indoors will need to be chilled in the summer, either air conditioned rooms or chillers for the tanks/ice bottles, etc.

So in conclusion, I guess any chance of putting them in outdoor ponds like some suggested is possible depends on the ability of the pond being large enough to keep a year round temp of that range. Thanks!

N

nicole

hello
well im having same problem with temperature im in australia and has been very hot here i never knew any thing about this my male is sick i think we changed the water but he was upside down in tank.plz can someone help i have a male and a female they are both not eating am worried

S

sharn

fridge. immediatly.
put some tank water into a ice cream container or something like that thats food safe and put them in the fridge with enough water to cover them so that their legs can touch the ground. if you feel the need put a lid on so they dont jump out. if your fridge is below 4 C let us know and we will help you find another way as it will be too cold for them. if your worried about temperature spikes in the fridge wrap the container in a towel. good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1