How much food?

T

tina

Hi, I'm new here. I find these pages quite informative, but I am still wondering; How much food should I feed my axolotl? She is about 20cm long but I don't know her age. Not more than two years was the shops guess.
Anyway, I feed her small blocks about 1,5x2cm and 5mm thick of frozen bloodworms or 1,5x1x2cm block of cod fish every second or third day. I also have frozen beefheart but I've heard it's bad for them.

Any comments? am I doing the right thing?
I've had her for about two weeks now and love her
love.gif

yip i think your on the right track. worms are also a good staple. welcome to the forum!

Hi Tina welcome to the forum.

If you haven't found it already you may also be interested in caudata's sister site http://www.axolotl.org/

Your feeding frequency sounds fine. You can still feed the beefheart if you want to, but I wouldn't use it as the most frequent food.

There is some what of a split in the forum on the feeding of beefheart. I used to feed it to the axolotls I had years ago with no adverse effects, but I only fed it perhaps once every 2 weeks and I cut it very thin.

Feeding a variety of nutritious foods will help insure your axolotl isn't lacking protein and vitamin content in its diet.

Intresting thread. My axo would eat herself to death if she could. She has now even started eating my pleco's vegetarian food!She begs for food non stop and has an enormous appetite.How much can I safely feed her? I usually give her about 1/2-3/4 of ice cubed blood worm.

SherriSixxx - I have heard others express the same "eat its self to death" stories on the forum. I personally have never experienced this.

How often are you feeding her, and what else are you feeding her? How old is she?

1/2 to 3/4 of a "U.S sized" cube of blood worms would not be enough for an adult axolotl in my opinion.

Thanx Cynthia! I feed her every day, usually in the evening. Sometimes I also give her a tiny bit in the morning,(cos she's too cute, and loves to eat!!)Hmm, am not sure of the exact size of blood worm cubes,my lfs told to give her 1/4-1/2 cube a day, but I don't think it's enough.

Am not sure how old she is, but not an adult yet. She is about 6".

Also, does anybody know where I can buy those soft salmon/trout pellets in the UK?
My lfs didn't know about them, and I would like to vary Axelina's diet, as at the moment she only gets bloodworms (And as stated before, she also eats my pleco's vegetable/algae pellets, and when I had gravel in my tank she used to eat little stones as well,eugh)

id say to cut down the feeding to every second day, maybe three if you can resist her cute face :p axolotls take a while to digest their food properly. im not sure about the pellets, but i think you can have them sent over by the axolotl colony people

Hmm, it's very difficult to resist her cute face!! Does everybody else also think that their own axolotl is the cutest? Haha, cos I do, Axelina looks sooo sweet (but behaves like a little monster at times,heeh)

I notices some fish angling clubs are selling trout pellets. Has anybody tried these? Only thing I am a bit concerned about, is that they said they dissolve very slowly. Do you think that may be a problem?

Sherri - the pellets that the axolotl colony uses are made for feeding to salmon. They are moist and dissolve slowly as well.

I would compare the ingredients of the trout pellets with the axolotl colony (Rangen) pellets:
protein 44%
fat 18%
fiber < 5%
ash < 8%
from http://www.rangen.com/rangen011.htm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back