Howdy!

W

wendy

Hey guys
I'm basically just introducing myself, my name is wendy and i'm from australia i've kept tropical fish for many years but just got my first cold water tank and a new axy last week! I'm very excited about "mike" joining my family
happy.gif

I have a few questions though, i've heard that they don't like moving water. I have a castle in the tank that has an airline attached so bubbles come out of it. It doesn't seem to bother him, sometimes he tries to catch the bubbles but should I turn it off??
Also how often should an axy be fed? I have beefheart and there are also a few fish fry in there that I didn't want too

Hi
u should first of start by reading all the info on
http://www.axolotl.org/
from what iv'e read so far the bubbles arn't a problem it's the water current from say a strong filter outlet that they dont like ie: a swirling motion through the tank...
as for the feeding it depends on how old ur axies are, better of reading some of the posts in the "quality of life" section...
beaf heart should only be given as a treat, worms or "good" axolotl pellets are a better staple diet.
if u feed them live fish be sure to hand feed them
because they can nip at the gills of ur axie but lots of people dont like live fish cause they can carry parasites and have a high fat content.
hope iv'e helped
happy.gif

p.s. i havn't been here long either but many helpfull and friendly people here ;)

Yeah, I know all about cycling
bowl.gif
I had some fish in it for a while but got them a bigger tank so now the axy gets it!

Hi! Am new as well! I live in London, England, but grew up in Scandinavia (Finland). I have a 55G tank, which at the moment houses a common pleco (fish) and an axolotl. However, this is a temporary arrangement, as my axo is so bossy the pleco is extremely scared of her. I am going to have a separate fish tank and a separate axo tank. I have totally fallen in love with my axo!! Her name is Axelina Munster.Hihi.And yes, I intend to buy a few more of them in the near future
happy.gif

Hi Wendy,the castle with bubbles sounds cool,do you have any pics?I have been hunting for a decent castle for my tank,but all I can find are too friendly looking.Lol.Earth worms are the preferred staple around here.My 2 love them.What type axie is Mike?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back