Miguel or Miguela?!

S

si

Another What sex is my axolotl thread I'm afraid! S/he's about 6" and seems to have a slight bulge. What do you guys think?

47610.jpg

47611.jpg

There are also some more pics on the Casa de Miguel page in the axie gallery.

Wow the tail on that axie looks different somehow. Almost bigger?

Well seems likely it's a boy then! Hooray!

Miguel it is!
proud.gif

Thanks Jordan I like my avatar too, "HE" looks so cute!

shouldnt be that old and no black toe tips mean pre-maturity stage.

I wouldn't have a clue how old Miguel is, he does have black toe tips though Stipe.

I don't really know how long it would take to get to 6"? I'd like to know how old he is though roughly if anyone could make an educated guess!
happy.gif

Nope, Stipe, I see some black toe tips on his back foot
happy.gif

But black or white toes don't always indicate sexual maturity.

I'm voting boy. About a Month or two back Grimace Gargamel my black Melanoid Axolotl developed a similar bump, now he has an even bigger one, so yep, voting boy
happy.gif

At 6 inches, depending on the conditions he grew up in, he could be anywhere from 5 months to a year old. If he's still growing quickly, he's probably on the younger end of that range.

Thanks Joan, thats gives us a rough idea then. I'll see how big he gets over the next few months.

It looks like he is reaching sexual maturity so it could be even older, 1 to like 1.5 years maybe?

Most reach sexual maturity between 6 and 12 months of age. There's really no way of being sure how old axolotls are without a.) knowing the hatch date, or b.) cutting off a leg and counting rings! I'm not sure if this works with axolotls per-se, but I know it works with some herps (and turtle scute-rings only give you a minimum age!).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back