Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cleaning after cycling

L

lindsay

I was just wanting to know when you should do a water change for the first time? I'm 2 and a half weeks into cycling and i know not to clean during cycling, but once my tank is established and i put my axies in, how long should i wait to do a water change?
I'm confused about that coz when I get my axies, the water in the tank would have been sitting in there for at least 4 weeks and from what i'm told, i should be doing 25% water change every fortnight after the tank is cycled. So should i do a 25% water change as soon as the tank is cycled or should i wait till my axies have been in there 2 weeks and then do a water change?
sick.gif

Am I even making sense? lol
All advice welcome! If it helps, my tank is 30"x12" and 15" high and is being cycled using comets.
Ta guys!
happy.gif

S

sharn

im not too sure on that one to be honest but waiting two weeks sounds like a good idea after the axies have been added just because your tank needs to get up to scratch with the bio load from your new babies!!!

J

joan

After your cycle is finished, you should do a 20-50% water change to lower levels of nitrate BEFORE you put the axolotls in, and then do a 10-20% water change weekly, as needed.

J

jordan

Yes as Joan said right after the cycling is finished, do a big water change to lower the nitrates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1