Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails - good or bad?

C

casey

I saw a pic of an apple snail? (not sure if that's right) on here a while ago, but I can't find it now.

I've been looking around in the aquariums for one, but it doesn't seem that Australia has them, unless I'm looking for the wrong thing.

Anyway, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to get a snail?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of having snails in the tank?

And, what is the best type to get?

J

jordan

Snails clean the tank, getting rid of algae, but i think they could mess with the axolotl. IM not sure but i think they could.

C

cynthia

Casey - Not too long ago a forum member posted that one of her axolotls tried to eat one of her apple snails and it got stuck in the axolotls mouth and her father had to pry the snail from the axolotls mouth.

There is also a bad ending with apple snails in this article http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

I do not recommend mixing axolotls and apple snails... axolotls will try to eventually eat the snail, the out come may not be ideal.

R

rheann

Hey Casey,

There are different opinions on Apple Snails and ramhorn snails. Personally I like using them and haven't had any problems. They keep the tank really clean, and eat any organisms they can catch.

They are pretty slow, so most of the time my Axolotls don't even notice they are even alive. Though the snails move a lot and are constantly eating.

I have problems though with my snails dying. I think it might be the hard water here because the snails were healthy. I have only tried two snails.

R

rheann

Lol Seems I posted two seconds after Cynthia. With me, I had to get snails. I have Hydra growing in my tank that I can't get rid of. If I don't use snails, they are impossible to keep off the glass. If I use algae scrubbers, they still come back a few minutes later. Not sure why.

if you are looking for an animal to help keep your tank clean, you can try Otocinclus. I have had two in my tank for a very long time now. Several months. I think about 5 or so months now I think. I only have two because they don't like being alone, and I did have three. One died way back when I first got them.

These little fish prefer warmer waters, but do ok in the colder waters that Axolotls require. They constantly work to keep the tank clean and they are fast, so the Axolotls can't catch them. They also stay very small and are not aggressive in anyway. They are rather humble, but not shy and are vegetarians.

H

hailz

I've recently discovered a small colony of snails that have hitched a ride on some plants that i bought, there is about 8? they are only tiny, about 5mm. and they move rather quick for snails but they seem to be doing fine, my axies dont notice them and my tank(which was beginning to be covered in algae is now crystal clear. I dont think i would go with a big snail. i only leave these ones in cause they are so small. if they grow any bigger i'll remove them.

H

hailz

Hey Rheann, the Otocinclus, you never have problems with your axies catching them at all? sorry im just a bit curious

J

jordan

I just read about Otocinclus and found out that in many instances they have attached themselves to fish and killed them. I would not take that sort of risk if i were you. It might work for now, but you never know when they might attack an axolotl.

J

joan

Rheann, the hydra aren't removed by the algae scrubber, just dislodged. When they land, they reattach. Little buggers can also grow from little bits of parts that get cut off, akin to starfish. Go Radiata!

Both otos and snails CAN be damaging to an axolotl's skin, if they find it tasty. The best way to get rid of algae is the old fashioned way (elbow grease).

R

rheann

Lucky for me I haven't had any problems with my little Otocinclus's.

I keep them well fed. I don't just rely on the algae to feed them, which will actually cause them to starve. I feed them cut up Cucumbers, Yellow Zucchini and green beans. They love this stuff.

They don't get any bigger than 2 inches, so this is why I chose to go with them. They're very afraid of my Axolotls, but not of me lol. I have actually been able to reach my hand in and remove them when cleaning the tank and they didn't fuss or try to flee. They will also nibble on the veggies even when I hold it down in the tank.

The snails are the only thing that work for me getting rid of those pesky Hydra. I also try to keep them well fed on veggies, so they are constantly climbing up the glass, eating the organisms up their way to eat the veggies lol. Right now I don't have a snail in my tank, so my glass is starting to look pretty frosty again lol.

I think it's safe to say that their is always risk involved, but with my schedule, it helps to have little helps such as snails or Otto’s in the tank to keep the pests and algae away
happy.gif

It's really up to the individual. If you feel you need some helpers to keep your tank tidy, just try and make sure that they stay well fed and don't get very big. Frozen pre-cut veggies work, or fresh.

I read somewhere else that a Bristle nosed catfish is ok to keep with Axolotls, but I don't remember where on the forum it is. I also have no idea how big they get either or if it really is safe or not.

Anyone know if these are ok to keep with Axolotls? Personally I like my Otto's
happy.gif

H

hailz

oh ok, thanks rheann i was just wondering thats all. i'm pretty sure somehow lulu and millie would eat them if i had some, the only reason the snails have lasted this long is because they are tiny and go "undetected" lol

C

cynthia

Rheann - I wouldn't use any product like that with axolotls or fish in the tank. The dead bodies of the snails would foul the water too I think.

Hailz - One of my axolotls loves snails, Jude hunted down all the snails that were big enough to see. She even dug them out of the substrate.

A

apryl

one of my guys sucked their snail out of its shell yesterday,i was impressed,wouldnt imagine a snail would come out too easily!?so i have given them another one,it can do its cleaning job until someone sucks him out too,i have an abundance of them,and adds variety to their diet.i havnt seen the snail go on the axies,it had been in there since i set up.

J

jordan

Can anyone recommend a snail or other live cleaner that won't hurt the axie if ingested or attack the axie?

R

rheann

Hey Guys, I read up some stuff on twig Catfish. They seem to handle colder waters and aren't aggressive, but I don't know any further information on them.

Anyone know anymore stuff on them?

C

cynthia

Rheann - Twig Catfish or Farlowella are slow and awkward moving. They have a very long stiff body.

I would not recommend Farlowella sharing an axolotl tank.

I have kept one or two Farlowella in my community tank for a few years now and they do ok in there , they do eat algae but enjoy squash and other veggies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1