Where to buy an axolotl?

jessica

Reaction score
Display Name
Jessica J. Miller
Well I'm currently living on campus at university, so we're only allowed to have fish and amphibians as pets. I remembered seeing a really weird "dinosaur fish" (as it was labeled) at a small petshop several years ago, and later found out it was an axolotl. I've thought about getting one for awhile now, but where would one find an axolotl? Besides that one petshop (and I don't even know if those axolotls were for sale), I've never seen them sold anywhere.

you should list this under the wanted section of the forum.

The things sold in malls and petshops called "baby dinosaurs" are tiger salamander larvae, not axolotls. I don't think axolotls are ever sold in US pet shops.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back