Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl poopie?

C

casey

Okay, this is kind of gross, but I'm just wondering what Axolotl poop looks like.

I don't think I've ever seen my Axie poo - can you help me?
blush.gif

A

amanda

::cough:: i've had mine since April, and I just saw him poop last week. It was white, and reminded much of the play-doh extruder i once had. The one where you pretended to make spaghetti? lol. that was my experience.

S

stipe

i dont know but mine had brown poop like bird seeds. looks kinda like miniture human poop, lol.

M

mel

mine too, just a small version of human poo. havent you seen it in your tank?aww such a funny topic, but of course a very important one. :0)

A

amanda

omg, thanks guys! now i'm all paranoid about my guys poop. i've got an extruder, while you have bird seeds! oi...
dizzy.gif

C

cynthia

Amanda Voudy - What are you feeding your axolotl to make it's droppings white? Meal worms?

C

casey

I've put Stella in the fridge in hope that she'll poo.

I've seen her with gravel in her mouth before and she seems to spit it out, but I'm worried that maybe she isn't pooing because she has some gravel stuck in her belly.

Should I switch to sand/large pebbles?

does anyone know where to get this in Australia?

S

stipe

definetly switch to sand. its more conftable and natural for the axies and less stress full. dont use large pebles i did and it really hard to clean and it stresses them our alot, trust me.

Here look at me tank change.
Old one....
43922.jpg

and this is my new one. ten folds beta.
43923.jpg

hope i helped

C

casey

Where do you get good sand from?

And how big does a tank have to be to fit, say 5-6 Axolotls in it? - I want more!

Are those live, or plastic plants?

How do you clean the sand? with a gravel siphon?

Sorry about so many questions

S

stipe

hey no problem. i got my sand from pets paradise in syd, but ur in vic so i dont know about gown there.

if you want 5-6 axies i say about a tank double mine. mine can hold around 3-4 so 1.5-2 x mine.

i use a gravel manual cleaner, its this kinda filter device that you scrap through the sand and it clean the waste. sry i dont have it any more it was my couzins. ask you local pat shop.

hope i helped

C

casey

Stella hasn't pooed yet and she doesn't look like she has any gravel in her tummy - should I put her back in the tank or is it dangerous to put her in a different water temperature?

I'd transfer the water she's in now which is cold, but will she get stressed out with too many temperature changes in one day?

I've also got a nitra-zorb pack in her aquarium at the moment to try to sort out the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph levels etc. and it's made the water go all cloudy - is this supposed to happen?

I want to clean her tank out first before I put her back in, so I'd rather leave her in the fridge for another day or two.

Any advice?

C

casey

Also, pets paradise don't have any sand, so I might have to wait a couple of days until I can get to an aquarium to check if they have some.

S

stipe

oh well then tell them to order some in. if they cant go look around.

C

cynthia

Casey - Do not put her directly from the fridge into the tank. When you move axolotls from cold to room temperature you should let them adjust slowly. Sit them out on a counter top for 8 - 10 hours and let them reach room temperature.

I've also got a nitra-zorb pack in her aquarium at the moment to try to sort out the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph levels etc. and it's made the water go all cloudy - is this supposed to happen?

I want to clean her tank out first before I put her back in, so I'd rather leave her in the fridge for another day or two.

By adding the pouch to the tank you could be prolonging your problem. If the tank has recently been set up it needs to cycle this will take 30 + days. See this article http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
google more info if you need it.

The axolotl can stay in the fridge for up to 30 days so long as you keep the water clean and offer it food. Keep in mind it wont eat as much or as often in the fridge.

I would not recommend trying to lower ph if you are trying to raise the ph please let us know.

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph readings?

How long has your tank been set up?

S

stipe

take cynthia's advice. i couldntg wait 30 days for the tank to cycle. ive only let it cycle 5 days and it worked fine.

R

rheann

Stipe, I have read several of your posts through out the forum, and I feel you are too optimistic about how your Axolotls should be raised. Five days of tank cycling is not enough for your Axolotls. With out properly cycling your tank you could potentially kill your Axolotls or make them sick. Why could you not wait more than five days? You should keep your Axolotl in a bucket or container with daily water changes and Stress coat until your tank is properly cycled. You should also test your water conditions or take a water sample into your local pet store and have them test it for you. Most pet stores will test water for free.

S

stipe

good advice, i'll let the water cycle more, but my axies have been there for 5 days already and have started to breed( male is leaving spermatophores all over the place) so i think they must be happy. but i'll take your advice and get a sample over the the closest pet shop

thanks alot

A

amanda

Cynthia Gardner - Yeah, in the beginning i was feeding my guy Tubex worms, which he loved. But then i stumbled upon axolotl.org, and read that i really shouldn't be feeding him those, so i switched over to turtle food, which he loves just as much. I saw him poop last night, and it looked like what everyone else had been describing, so I think what I originally saw last week, was just "left overs." lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1