Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melburnians?

C

casey

Just wondering if there's any other Melburnians here? I'd like to compare notes.

M

mel

sure is! hows your axolotl family going? it would be great if we could compare notes! it's hard to get products that some talk about because they aren't in australia have you got photos? I'll look in the gallery
biggrin.gif

C

casey

I've just got one axie at the moment - Stella.

I'll attach some photos
happy.gif

I'm like a proud mum! How many do you have?

I'm live in Dingley - which suburb are you from? I've found a really good aquarium in Mentone - on Nepean Hwy and they know heaps about fish in there.

I want to get Stella a new tank, cos my current one is too small, but I can't afford one yet, do you know where you can get cheap ones?

Do you have sand or gravel in your tank? I've heard heaps of people talking about sand but I don't know how you would clean it.

Do you clean your tank often? and what do you feed your axie?

I'm so glad we can compare notes now!

S

stipe

yours iz kool, sry im a sydney boy, lol but clos enought. i got 2 axies, a male 5-7 month old white albino and a 5-7month old female golden albino.
hope you like them. the male is called squidy(dont ask) and the female is nameless( got her yesterday lol)

43936.jpg

43937.jpg

<font color="ff0000">(added spaces between pics -- TJ)</font>

(Message edited by TJ on September 26, 2005)

S

stipe

as you can see i changed the tank for the new one and i put them together, just if your wondering why the tanks are diff in both pics.

old tank, (squidy a loner)
43941.jpg

squidy with girl friend
43942.jpg

C

casey

They look great!

Are you going to breed them?

What are your tank measurements?

S

stipe

ye thats was my original plan im going to breed them and give it the the pet shop near my house.

im going to sell some and kepp like 4 of the best ones.

S

stipe

my tank i thing is aroung 60x30x40 but nor entarly sure. im hoping of keeping 3-4 in t hat tank.

M

mel

hey casey! I have two adults, bobo and julie, they are in a 3 foot tank so 90 cm looks huge in my little apartment. I'm in st kilda east.your fish shop sounds great! mine has no idea.I had to tell them their axies were sick. oh dear. I have an undergravel filter with small gravel then on top are large river rocks. they are great for breeding because they are smooth and easy for bobo to lay his sperm things he he. technical! he he.My photos are in the gallery. under 'the gang' and 'julie and bobo's babies' your stella is gorgeous!
I saved up for ages for my tank,bobo loved it when he got it. the whole set up gravel, rocks tank pumps and filters plus bobo and julie cost about 300 bucks. not to bad that was from a place in geelong.
yep! I'm a like a proud mum too! my boyfriend is trying to convice me that they aren't talking back! he he he, I love hanging out with them.
I feed them earth worms whole frozen fish and axololt pallets ( not to many of them though, they love live food.
biggrin.gif
took me a while to get use too though he he he. how big is your tank now? and how long is stella?
oo! Umm I change their water every two weeks, just 40 percent. you?

M

mel

>stipe>I think I have the same log as you!don't they just love it?! also maybe be carefull with that thermometer, aparrently if they brake against the glass the insides can kill the axies.It happened to someone on the forum. I have an electronic one that sits outside the tank with a thing in the water, $9 bucks . prob won't happen but I thought I should give you a heads up.
biggrin.gif

S

stipe

you tank and axies sound great, lol. my golden axie was sick when i got her from the shop and i havn't told them yet( im healing her in salt baths) he he. they are just magnificant to keep so cool.

M

mel

Yeah I'm salt bathing julie at the mom, only had to do it twice which was good! what was wrong with your golden? (does she have a name?) you can't beat owning axies!!

S

stipe

lol i know there the best ever.

i think she has a skin infection, here a put a picture to help you get a better under standing.
43945.jpg

it looks like she has a skin infection, see the white blochy stuff on her back. im gonna giver her like 4 salt baths if it doesnt help then i think thats her natural colour, lol.

i havt given her a name yet because i just got her, any suggestions, my male is called squidy (dont ask)

S

stipe

hey thanks for the advice on the thermometer i movied it and i got my log tunnel thingy from big w but dey sell them in kmart etc as well. how about you.

M

mel

gosh it's hard to tell with photos but it looks like her natural colouring.. who knows. is she scratching? have no Idea with the name. I named bobo but I let my boyfriend name julie, I couldn't believe that he gave her such a grown womens name! ha ha
she is so cute! is she walking ok? or is she just chilling out there? so cute! how big is your new tank?

S

stipe

shes ok, healthy and energitic. lol, its fun watching my male follow my female around and then he starts nudging her gently ( i think thier gonna mate) the tank is the same size ( its the same tank, just new set up) SORY if i confused you, lol. the male moon walks ( hops, floats then lands to move) where as the female actualy walks, looks so cool like a miniture
dinosaur, lol.

oh and no shes not scratching, i do think its her natural colour. oh well.
thanks

C

casey

Hey mel! I used to live in St Kilda - in the Metropol apartments - do you know them? There's a really great chocolate shop across the road, called Cacao - I travel 1/2 an hour there every week just to get their strong hot chocolate! yummy!

I'm going to have a look at you pics soon!

I have an undergravel filter too, I think, well, I have gravel plates and then the filter is on top - so I don't know where the gunk goes - I guess under the gravel plates?

I'm thinking of getting sand this week.

Stella's in the fridge at the moment - i'm trying to get her to poo - I haven't seen her do it yet and I'm worried that she might be constipated b/c I've fed her quite regularly so far.

My tank is 30x30x30cm and Stella is about 17cm I think - not sure. I'll get a bigger tank soon, when I get some money - I have no work on at the moment, so I'm very poor - lucky I live at home with mum and dad!

So far I've only changed the water 50% once, cos I've only had her about 3-4 weeks - but I'm going to change it again this week, when I put some sand in.

Stella likes frozen fish and sometimes beef heart - but it makes too much mess so I don't give it to her too often.

I tried to give her earth worms but she doesn't like them wriggling in her mouth - are yours dead or alive?

She doesn't seem to like pellets, I gave her brine shrimp (defrosted) last night and she had a nibble, but it made so much mess - lucky my bf got it out for me!

He thinks I'm obsessed cos I talk about her all the time.

I'd like to get another 3 or 4 and breed them, but I'll have to wait till I can get a bigger tank.

Good to hear all about your experiences, keep the stories coming!

S

stipe

if your gonna breed them you beter be well prepared adn learn about every little thing about breeding and rearing, trust me your going to need it.

is it hot down there in vic cuz up here in syd its bloody boiling and my tank gets to around 23-24 and i put some 1L bottles of frozen water in the tank to help cool it down.

got any suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!