I got my axie!!!!!!

A

aimee

Hi everyone. I got my axie today!! He's the cutest thing ever and he seems to be settling into his new home quite nicely
happy.gif
I picked up some freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms...is that a sufficient diet? I looked at the page where it talks about feeding: http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm but most of the foods mentioned are live foods. For the time being I'd like to stick with dry foods. Is this okay? The page also mentioned the pellets that Indiana University offers its axies. Can similar pellets be found in a local pet store? I also saw many random fish foods for bottom dwellers that sink to the bottom when I got him today...would these be bad for the little guy? Also, he's about 6 inches long...how old do you think he might be? lol I'm really new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah! I haven't been able to decide on a name yet...any suggestions? He's a gold albino with white flecking on his underbelly and tail. He's so cool!

Congrats on your new arrival!

Do you have any pictures?

I fed my axie Bloodworms every meal before I found this website. She seemed to do okay.

I now feed her red worms as a staple which she seems to enjoy much more, plus they aren't messy at all.

I guess its just personal preference...although does the freezing process lose nutrients?

Can't tell about the age cause they all grow at different rates - he can't be that old though at that size.

Don't think the pellets can be found anywhere except the uni.

Simba for the name
rofl.gif

hi everyone

i have just got an axie too. his name is sunny, i bet you can guess what colour he is, anyway i keep looking at axie pics and some of the axies are being held by their owners out of water. can they breathe out of water? they aren't salamanders and one was moving on some ones hand.

no they can't breathe out of water only if they are changing into salamandas. that seems very mean to hold them out of water. mine jumed out of a bucket when I was cleaning her tank and she definantly didn't enjoy that! sunny is a great name! you should post a picture of him! what sort of set up do you have for him?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back