Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should i be worried?

A

aimee

Hello everyone
happy.gif
Sushi is about 6 inches long. Does this size imply he's old enough to know what sex 'he' is? He has the swelling of the claoca, but since 2 days ago, he's suddenly gotten noticably fatter.

Could he just be bloated? If so, what would cause this? Other than his change of size, he looks and acts perfectly fine. He doesn't seem stressed in any way, shape, or form and is eating just fine.

As far as eating goes, could I just feeding him too much? Every other day I give him 2-3 mouthfuls of brine shrimp and a few pellets. Could this have caused his sudden obeisity?

He doesn't look unhealthly fat, but instead of a gradual change, it seems to have come out of no where......thoughts?

R

rheann

Hey Aimee, his belly is just probably full. Be careful about over feeding. They sell Canadian Night Crawlers at Walmart in the fishing department. Get some earthworms if you can. cut them up into smaller pieces. Try also feeding him three times a week, cut back on feedings and I am sure you will see the results. With my baby Axolotls, which one is under an inch and one is over an inch, I have to be very careful about over feeding because tehy are so small. Their bellies can get pretty bloated if I don't measure their food out properly, then they look really fat. If your Axie is eating fine, isn't stressed and acting perfectly normal, I would just say he's getting a little too much to eat.

A

aimee

Alrighty thats what I was hoping. I just wanted to be sure
happy.gif

Thanks Rheann
angel.gif

A

aimee

alrighty, just a little update...

Sushi is still eating fine (though I'm feeding him less) but I've noticed that he can no longer swim to the top of the tank. In fact, it seems to take serious effort to get an inch off the tank floor.

Also, I've barely found any poo anywhere. Could he be constipated? If this is the case, is there anything I can do about it?

I know its only been a few days since his sudden bloating, but it hasn't gone down at all.

He still acts like his normal self. He eats well and moves around healthly, despite being grounded to the tank floor.

Is there anything I should be doing? Am I just being paranoid?

M

mel

are you sure he is a he? I am only new but I noticed when julie was full of eggs she had trouble getting off the ground and once she had them she was free as a bird. but if there is a swelling.... hmmm... I don't know. sorry I'm not much help. I hope someone can help you though! goodluck! I couldn't help you on the paranoid front though, I'm always asking a million questions as soon as something happens! it just means we love them! he he he

H

hayley-jane

When my axie was constipated I put her in the fridge in a container of fresh water. She pooed like 5 times.

I put her back into the tank and she was right as 9 pence then.

M

mel

wow! gee thats great to know, I've noticed alot of people putting them in thefridge. I would have thought it would be too cold? could you explain how it works? very interested.sorry if I'm going off the track.hope it works for you aimee!oxox

A

aimee

Thank you Mel
happy.gif
happy.gif

I have the same question. Can the refridgerator be too cold? I think I heard that if you need to help a sick axie by cooling the water down, you shouldn't go below 10 C? Mine is about 35 F (about 2 or 3 C...I think lol). If this is too cold, should I try doing the frozen bottle/ice bag thingy? Or would the temperature fluxuations be too much? Would it be better to just leave him where he is? Could the constipation pass on its own?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm being an overly worried parent haha.

H

hayley-jane

I think the water is okay as long as it's not below 6C, or maybe 5C - someone on here will know! lol
biggrin.gif

The fridge works by lowering the axolotl's metabolism, so they don't feel hungry and don't digest their food as quick. Not sure how this gets rid of their constipation but it always works with Elsa.

If the axolotls have fungus it is good too as most bacteria/fungi will grow best in warm conditions, so by chilling them down they cannot multiply - giving the axolotl a better chance of fighting them off.

happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!