Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White axies tail gone red

E

emilie

hi everyone, i was just walking past the axie tank and had a look my axies tail is red.
she is normally all white with blue and red gills she has such amazing colouring.
this morning her tail was not red but now it is the other axie in with her is her usual colour.
what is going on should i be worried?

H

hayley-jane

I could be wrong but I think its a temperature thing?

When my tank gets too hot Elsa's tail goes red and she gets all figetty...I have to run down to the freezer to get all them ice bottles...
angry.gif

If your temp if ok then sorry I don't know.

E

emilie

your probley right it might have been the temp, this morning she isn't red. her legs started to get red aswell, it would go away and then come back again, really weird.
thanks for the info just wanted to make sure it was nothing serious.
if it goes red again i will pos a pic.

A

aimee

Hi all. Could anyone tell me at what temperature this might occur? The other day I noticed that Sushi's tail was looking a little fleshy in color. But I hadn't noticed it before and haven't since.

I live in central California and it can get blazing hot for long periods of time. The only constant temperature i can keep Sushi's tank without the means of an aquarium cooler is about 72 degrees (22 C).

Besides that singe observation a few days ago, I've noticed no other irregularities and Sushi seems active and maintains his gluttony lol.

I know that 22 C is quite on the warm side, but I've read from several sources that this temperature is within tolerance. Could this temperature be high enough to cause stress?

G

grant

Well Aimee I live in Modesto so about 20 mins away from you. I manage to keep mine between 68-70 degrees. As long as the temp doesn't exceed 72 degrees you should be fine. But, anything over that can be very stressful. If you want it to be a little cooler just get some zip-lock bags and fill them with ice cubes and sit them on top of the water once or twice a day.

C

claire

my leucistic axies tail seems to go red when he has eaten his meals of worms.lol.

J

joan

I think it's increased blood flow from 'hunting and eating' hormones. With mine, their gills get much redder when they're eating.

C

cynthia

The gills and tails on mine get redder when they are eating and when they are "arguing" over turf.

A red tail can also be a sign of stress.

Aimee - If you purchase a small fan like this
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31884;category_id=2259
and position it on top of the tank so it can blow down into an opening it will help keep your tank a few degrees cooler.

I keep my house at 72 degrees and the fan is keeping the axolotl tank at 65.

J

joan

I went to walmart and purchased some small (6inch or so) personal fans and rigged them to the tops of my tanks. They were $5 a piece. Cheaper than 'aquarium fans', and still as effective.

A

aimee

Thanks guys
happy.gif
I'll look into getting a fan right away. I know the ice in a baggy trick is a good short term way of cooling down waters, but I've tried to refrain from using this method because I heard that it could cause stress due to temperature fluxuations. A small fan would be a far better means of keeping Sushi more comfortable.
frog.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1