Tank size. and a few more questions

E

emily

I have a 20 gallon (long) tank. Could I put one axolotl in? Can they stand PH 7.8, medium-hard water? Are they sociable, or can they live alone?
THANKS!

That's about 100 litres, I think. That should be a fine size for up to three or four axolotls. They prefer a pH of 7- this is neutral. Otherwise you may get problems with peeling skin, etc. It is possible to get products that remove chlorine and chloramines, and also products to bring the pH of your water up to neutral. Remember,. if you choose to introduce other axolotls later, you must quarantine them for quite some time.

I personally wouldn't keep more than one adult in a 20 gallon tank, even the long style ones, but others will disagree with me. If they axolotls are young and you plan on a bigger tank later, you could start with more. I have my two in a 30 gallon and will be moving them up to my new 50 gal. with a third axolotl when it's set up. They seem to have their own 'space' in the tank and I think they'd be unhappy if crowded.

The only time I really see mine interacting is when they get into shoving wars over the last morsel of food left on the bottom, the rest of the time they do their own thing. I find it more interesting having two though, so I guess it's really up to you!

Leah, in our large tank don't they ever crowd into a corner or sit on top of each other?

My females tank is 1.2m x 0.3m base and it kills me that they don't use all the space but prefer to group in the corners most of time.

But I think that what is more important (for me) is that the filter is large enough to contend with the waste put out by the group. e.g. my under-gravel filter in this tanks under 75mm deep of gravel. Obviously they need territory space but be careful about overloading the tank from a waste perspective too.

Nope, Falkor and Aximander each have their own half of the tank and their own favourite tunnel. They rarely share and seem totally indifferent to each other! Could be Aximander bullying Falkor, as she's slightly bigger and the more aggressive one, but I really don't think so! They're both happy in their own little worlds! Maybe I just have two anitisocial freaks?

The melanoid that I'll be buying shortly might be a different story though- in the store all of the axolotls are always piled on top of each other, so maybe she'll teach my other two to be social!

I kept 2 adults in a 55 gallon tank (male/female) and they each had their own "area". They divided the tank long ways. Female stayed to the back, the male was always in the front.

I think 1 adult in a 20 long would be my limit. 2 might be ok, but my adults were 11.5" and 13" long a 20 wouldn't of given them any "swimming" room.

Make sure you use a tight top on a 20 long, they are only 12" tall a scared axolotl could easily launch its self out onto the floor.

Thanks! What kind of filter is good for axolotls? If I did get 2, would it be better to get female/female,�@female/male, or male/male, or do stores not let you choose? Do they need caves and plants?

hello

i have just got my first axolotl ever, just two weeks ago, called him Basil. i have a 40 cm long tank and i was wondering if that was big enough for one adult, if not how big should it be?

Axolotls can grow up to 30 cm and sometimes beyond. Depending on the size your axy is now, you will definitely need to get something larger at some stage.

Live in Melbourne. I have an approx. 60 gallon outdoor pond -- depepest part maybe 3 foot, shallowest 1.5 foot.

Is water depth and issue for the two Axies I've been given (their choc brown, seem quite healthy, eating well, co curling of tail, etc.).

There is a smalle water feature in the pond -- just a bit of a fountain to aerate the water -- no great current flow.

Wadda ya reckon? Any advice appreciated.

Robert, there is a thread lurking around here about keeping axies outdoors in ponds.

How would you maintain the temp?

I have my 2 adult axies in a 15 gallon tank. They are pretty much inactive during the day but do swim around a bit at night/early morning. My axies have been with each other since they were about 4-5 inches (now they are 10 and 12 inches). You won't be able to pick the sex of your axie unless they are selling adults which is rare. You can't tell the sex of an axolotl until they mature (at about 1 year of age).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back