Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What are they like in the WILD?

M

monique

I a a newbie (kind of any way, I got Buddy at the star of the year) and was wondering, what are they like in the wild?

R

rita

Not entirely sure... I've never seen one in the wild in Australia. lols. But apparently they're very much the same in the wild as they are in an aquarium, except they don't get hand-fed, and have to 'hunt' anything that moves. ('hunt' meaning try to swallow) lols. That's my guess, anyway.
biggrin.gif

A

anne-marie

I reckon they'd be scarred. Lots of motor boats in Lake Xochimilco I believe. Or maybe charred - I hear Mexicans view them as a delicacy and eat em off a stick - EEEK! Of course you'd have to find one first - I've heard that they're really quite rare.

G

grant

I don't think they do that any more but way way back in the day people in mexico did eat them. If you look up axolotl in a lot of encyclopedias it will tell you they have crispy skin and stuff...eww lol. But I'm not sure if you know this Monique but Axolotls are native to only 2 Lakes in Mexico. One is filled in and the other Xochimilco as Anne mentioned.It is located outside Mexico city and is highly polluted and that is why axies are highly endangered in the wild. Lucky for us they are easily bread in captivity!

E

eric

I wonder what they taste like. Maybe if one of mine ever dies... I'll stick 'em on the Gorge Foreman grill and chow down. NOT!!!!! EW.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1