Can axies stay out of water

E

emilie

I have just got some axies and was wondering how long they could actually stay out of water?
I have had axies before but they died, just stopped eating.
That was 12 months ago i decided to give them another go i think they are great pets.

They can't. Axolotls are permenantly aquatic. They do not come out of the water.

ok thanks for that, my partner and i where talking about them and he thought they could come out of the water, i wasn't to sure so i thought i would ask.
i have a filter in my tank and i check the water ph every couple of days i also change half the water every week and also add the water conditioner aswell.
I have been feeding them brine shrimp blood worms and axie pellets.

Emilie - What kind of filter are you using? You don't want a strong current in your tank as axolotls stress when there is current.

You should be testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate along with your ph. Ammonia and nitrite should read zero and nitrate should be below 40.

If you change half the water you could be causing the tank to do a "mini recycle". Once a tank has cycled (this takes 30+ days) it would be better to remove 20% of the water from the tank each week and replace it with fresh dechlorinated water.

ok thanks i will go and get the other kits a test the water.
the filter is only small but big enough to keep the tank clean and only a few bubbles.

The rule of thumb for filtration is that if you can see your axolotls gills moving in the current, it's too fast. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back