Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamander or axolotl?

A

aimee

Having never owned any type of salamander (getting my first axie this week! Yay!!!!), I was just curious if there is any reliable way to tell the difference between a young axie and tiger salamander. Also, does anyone know how large a tiger salamander gets before morphing? Not a life or death question..i was just curious
wacko.gif

J

jennifer

It can sometimes be difficult to tell them apart based solely on appearance. The best way to tell them apart is SOURCE. Since axolotls are captive bred, they are likely to be sold small, and likely to include color variants. Tiger sal larvae are often sold at larger size and will all be gray/brown. Tiger sals are usually cheaper.

There is huge variation in the size of tiger sals at morph. They can morph at 3-4 inches, or be foot-long monsters like the one in the photo at the second link Ros gave.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1