Some questions (im new to this )

F

fidel

I've bought a white axolotl bout 3 days ago, at this moment its in a plastic aquarium which is about 30cm long 15cm wide and 20cm high, I know its too little thats why I got another bigger aquarium from the cellar which is about 60cm long 30cm wide and 30cm high. Ill post some pictures in this topic from the moment i've found the camera
happy.gif
, but now the questions: how old do these animals get and when are they full grown? And I want babies
happy.gif
what colour would they have if i put a black one with the other one? And when can u clearly see the gender? At this moment I cant see anything, How old would my axolotl be, its about 10-12cm long? Do two axolotls have more fun than 1? I dont want him to get bored all the time
happy.gif
and final question: how much food do I need to give it, im reading that all of u dont give it food every day... well i give it (i think they r) bloodworms (bought them from store where we got the axolotl) I give them this frozen piece (bout 1.5cm*1.5cm*1cm) every day and he always eats all of it i think because i cant find any rests of the worms anywhere...oh and another question, whats the best thing to use to give it a hiding place from light etc...btw: fantastic website and really nice forum

Sorry time is short so quick answers:
Size: typically 8-12" but a few can get to 18"
Colour genetics: check out recent thread this forum, it's a big subject.
Sex: check out folder Axolotl Gender in photos forum
Food: depends
Finally check out some of the FAQS & info on the www.caudata.org/axolotl. John has answered nearly everyone's questions and provided fantastic store of info all in one place. Please feel free to ask some more questions but please try and read some in the main section of the site. Best of luck for now,

in regards to breeding - if you're new to axies, wait til you're really comfortable with their care before even thinking about it. it's a huge job that requires heaps of time and money (to buy tanks, equipment and food) and trhen you have to find homes for hundreds of babies!

most people here have more than one axolotl, but it's pretty much up to you. they don't do any better or worse alone, but i personally think they enjoy the company. the important thing if you have more than one is that there's plenty of hiding spots for them, and the tank is big enough. if you've got a 60cm long tank, you might get away with two - but it'd be a tight fit. better to get a bigger one if you want to expand.

i feed my axies every day, and i'd generally recommend to feed every day until they're full grown - then you can drop back to every second day. again this is something that different people do different ways, so test your axies' hunger and see what they want!

21684.jpg

Is it normal to have like really really small feet? I must say hes still pretty small but his feet or really small... And his right gill looks bitten of (from in store i think) will this grow back?

yes it will grow back i cant see his feet proper but mine was missing parts of its gills when i got mine they all grew back

Most bits grow back, Axies are the gods of healing. Lots of axies are missing a few toes some grow back some dont. They dont seem to miss them that much.
Looks like another cute axie out there...hasn't anyone got an axie that is uglier than Tweak?

is it normal for the to get white tips on the toes its a wildtype axie

lol no way leah.
Carl, yep white toe tips are normal on wildtypes

kevin is 16 years old and i have just started to only float on the top of the tank. He cant seem to float straight and leans to one side and is way over active and is swimming around in a crazy state. Is he dying? what can i do? He is still eating

fiona - move him to a food safe container and only put in enough water to cover him. This will help him gain his footing. Put a lid on the container and put him in the fridge.

Keep his water clean.

16 is quite old, I can't say that he is or isn't dieing but the coolness of the fridge should help him settle down.

When axolotls float and tilt to one side it can be a gas bubble or a sign of an infection.

Put an extra container of water in the fridge to use to change his water with so you have water that is the same temp.

Please give us an update after he has been in the fridge 24 hours.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back