I don't really know what i'm doing...

M

me

hey guys, i bought an axolotl today, and i'm not really sure how to look after it properly, so if anyone can tell me any tips that would be great!

i am surprised they did not give you the basic maintaince of your axolotl, all you need to start up you axie is a good sized tank, filter, rocks, ph level checker, and food! ( like beef heart and blood worm, daphnia) any of them are good. My self I use beefheart. you can find a lot of info and handy hints on this site to help you out good luck!!!

Hi Me, Welcome to the forum
happy.gif
I would use sand instead of Rocks. Axolotls can eat small gravel and it can lead to problems. As for Beef heart, a more stable healthy diet would consist of Earthworms, black worms and occasional crickets as treats. Avoid fatty foods or foods that can lead to problems later in life. A pre-cycled tank is very important. As Jarred suggested, there are many great tips to cycling tanks at www.axolotl.org and also tips on good filters and how to keep your tank healthy. Try to stick to foods that the Axolotls would find out in the wild. Beef heart or animal meat that comes from Cows or chickens or any other live stock isn't very healthy to feed this as a stable diet. I think though feeding these things as occasional treats are ok though my self I have yet to try it. One Axolotl needs about 10 gallons of space and Sand you can get at pet stores or if you live in the united states, Try Home Depot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back