Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping Axolotls outdoors in the UK

stephen

Reaction score
Hi,Ive been considering trying to keep some Axolotls in a small outside pond in the UK.

The pond is about 6ft by 3ft and 20in deep with an 8in shelf around the edge.
It contains no fish and has recently been cleaned out and some oxygenating plants have been added.

I am planning to add a pond heater to prevent the pond from freezing in the winter.
I realise that temperatures could still go as low as 3-4c but from what ive read they should be able to survive this.

The axies I have at the moment are about 6 months old and I would plan on adding 3 or 4 to the pond in the next few weeks.

Any opinions or advice would be gratefully recieved,thanks,
Steve.

J

joão

they survive at that temperature , but it´s not that good , I have the opposite case, I want to have a pond outside but here in portugal, temperatures are too high.

J

jennifer

João, do you have any ponds in your neighborhood? If so, take some temperature measurements. Soil underground stays surprisingly cool in summer. A deep-enough pond in a shady place might stay cool (maybe).

J

joão

I don´t think it will work , cause here the temperatures outside are up to 40 Cº sometimes. But as you suggested I will check if someone have any ponds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1