I got my setup!!!

E

eric

I've been looking for a good setup for my axies of the future and I found a pretty good one! For $250 I found a guy who's wife is making him get rid of his aquariums and I got a 75 Gallon tank, a nice solid wood stand, and 2 filters - a Penguin 330 and a smaller one that plugs into some kind of plastic plating at the bottom of the tank with a bunch of nozzel heads. I'm not sure what't the deal with the 2nd pump. I think it sucks stuff up from the bottom.... I'll have to figure it out. I'm going to re-varnish the base and add some handles to the front I think. I have to do that before I set the tank up because I'ts probably going to weigh around 800 lbs when it's filled. This is so cool. It's much better than I was going for! And the tank is one of the kinds that is a bit wider than normal - so more room for the axies to run around on the bottom. I'll see how the Penguin does..... I may switch to a canister in the future....

Hey, sounds great! Good luck with that, you have loads of room for lost of Axies now when you get it all set up ^_^ Sounds so fun. Now you get to pick out sand and plants and decorations, that is the best part, for me it is ^_^ Hey, Canister filters are great!

Eric - That is a nice sized tank, good find.

You will have to work out a spray bar of some type for that penguin 330. I have one of those on a community tank and it really puts out the current. The fish love playing in it, but it would stress axolotls out.

Please post us some pictures when you have things set up.

Do have any idea how to rig a spraybar to a Penguin? I haven't even seen how this one works yet - I don't even have the tank in the house yet as I can't lift it - even when it's empty - no I am not a wuss.

As for the setup....
I am thinking of black sand for the bottom...maybe mixed with a small amount of red or green sand so there's specs of color. Then I'm going to track down 3 or 4 root systems from trees or overturned cypress if I can find them. I figure the nooks will be good for the axies to hide in. From there I will add a matching back to the tank and add a few fake plants - some hanging down, some freestanding and some curled around the roots. Lastly I might put in something Aztec- maybe a statue of Xolotl or a few Mayan pots....

Thanks Eric for the comment on the art ^_^ No, I'm not a graphic artist, but a self taught artist trying to get a novel finished and published, that and a web comic up hopefully XD Don't have a clue on the spray bar, but Pets mart sells root orniments for aquariums. Here is a picture of mine
40647.jpg

Argh! stupid snails ate all my duck weed! Have to get more duckweed soon. What they didn't eat got stuck in the filter tube. Pets mart alo have bigger roots. This one just happened to be small enough to fit nicely into my tank ^_^ And Here is the incomplete picture that has made part of its way into my profile. Just trying to figure out what needs to go into the background.
40648.jpg

It's of Shane and Ora from my story ^_^ which is still deeply set into the making.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back