Holiday feeding

B

brett

Any suggestions as to what I can do regarding feeding my Axy whilst Im on holiday?
I have fish and the neighbours usually pop in and feed them, but feeding an Axy is another challenge. He usually feeds by hand, or by dropping food in directly over his head and he "goes" for it (quite impressive actually). Most people we know dont even like him! Although I havent discussed this with the neighbours yet. Maybe I will to see what they say.

What do others do???

How long are you going to be away? Axolotls can go quite a while without eating. You may want to feed them just before you go and have them go without until you get back.

Having other people care for them may end up with fouled water, which would be worse than not eating for a few days.

1 Week. 1 Axy.
I know they can go a while without food. In fact quite recently he was off his food, then I found a **massive** poo so I assume he was a bit constipated, but now he's mega hungry each night (it seems so to me)

Is it an adult? If so, feed him extra before you leave, then don't worry about it. One week is fine. He'll be a little hungry when you get back, so feed him a little extra then.

Yes, he's adult - about 8" long, seems to have stopped growing

there is nothing to worry about it will all be fine just feed him when you leave and feed him when you get back it is that simple ok
happy.gif

I read that guppies are good for this because they don't nip the gills but at night they drop down and can be caught. My pet store said don't use healthy guppies--he said squeeze them a little (which I don't want to do). So I put about 12 teeny guppies in to test it all. There was no gill nipping. I only saw one actually caught and eaten and that was by my faster critter--his slow buddy would never get one I think. I ended up taking them out. Blackworms also live for days in the tank. You could put blackworms in something deep so they stayed there--a bowl of some kind to keep them from crawling into unaccessable areas. I got a reptile worm feeder made for land reptiles. It looks kind of like a stove. Put worms in from top and they gradually ooze out the 3 holes into a catch area and axies go there for them. They don't stay for more than a day or so though. I also just found an old fashioned worm feeder that still had worms in it after 24 hours--there were 2 of them and both had substantial worms left in them--they didn't all wriggle out like with the cone feeders. And the worms were alive. And the axies actually stopped eating at some point (thought it would never happen). I bet those would be able to provide food for at least several days.

What about an automatic fish feeder stocked with pellets or repti sticks? Even if it took a while for stuff to sink, they'd have something... We have been heavily at work on the self-feeding options here, if you hadn't noticed.

I was about to ask this too!

I'm going on holiday for a week.

If I just had Elsa I would have left her without food for a week....but....I've just introduced Elmo, who is literally half Elsa's size.

What if Elsa got really hungry and mistook Elmo for food?

Should I take them with me to be on the safe side?

The place I'm going is a few hours drive away but Elsa coped fine with a 2 hour drive last week...??

My two start to nip at eachother ONLY when dinner is late, so I'd be afraid to leave them alone with no food. You could separate them and leave them though....

Jumbo neon tetras those suckas die faster than you can count. Guppies nip and faster kinda but eventually the axie will get them i guess. But tetras are cheap and a good snack for them i guess. My axies ate 10 tetras within 2 weeks.

Think I'm gonna take them with me to be on the safe side.
angel.gif

Hayley - If you feed them well before you leave they can go without eating for a week with no problem.

I do wonder though since there is such a size difference in your two, if a tank divider while you are gone would be a good idea. That cute little elmo might start looking like a snack.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back