Clay cave in Spike's tank?

Y

yr

Hi guys!

We're a year 4/5 class in Bruce Rock in Western Australia and we've just inherited a new axolotl called Spike.

A few of our students created a cave for him out of clay. We would like to know if we can place the cave in his tank and if it will adversely affect the water.

regards,
4/5 Class Bruce Rock DHS

Hi all,

I'm not sure about the clay cave but I'm sure someone will be able to help you - most of our knowledgeable moderators are based everywhere but Australia, so try back tomorrow when they've had a chance to read your post. In the meantime, don't put the cave in, just to be sure.

clay should be fine imo, most pots and caves are made out of clay. But this isnt the gooey clampy clay right, its well dried and hardened? I heard of some people using it as fertilizer as well. Place it in normal water if you paranoid and test the water after 24 hrs.

ha ha suckers your all stuck in class.. hang on so am i
dizzy.gif

Hello!
My axolotl Axle has a clay cave that I made for him in my pottery class. There's a photo or two of it below - sorry about the quality. If you are making anything out of clay that will need to hold water/be placed in water you will need to have fired the piece to stoneware. Earthenware pottery will just absorb water. Apologies if you already know all this - it sounds as if you may have actually finished the cave!
As far as decoration was concerned, I used a little iron oxide rubbed on then wiped off with a sponge, which gives a slightly metallic finish. If you have glazed the cave, check that the glaze doesn't contain anything harmful such as barium. Glazes suitable for food plates, bowls etc should be OK.
40408.jpg

Hope this helps,

Laura
40409.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back