Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bristle nosed Plecostomas - friend or food?

E

eric

The Indiana University FAQ mentions that Axies and Plecos get along fine. I was doing some checking on these guys and the common species usually grow to about 1.5 - 2 feet in length. But I found a really weird one called the bristle-nosed one and it has tentecles all over its face like a cuttlefish. But it's small - about 6-8 inches max. So if I get one of these are the axies going to eat him? Will they see his tentacles and try to eat them?

B

belinda

Hi,
I also would really like to know the answer to this, as i have 5 bristle-noses in another tank and thought they would go well with the axies.

I thought because they just suck the algae off the side of the tank, there would be no problem with them nibbling on the axies gills.

How big does something have to be before an axie doesn't see it as lunch?

A

anne-marie

1) Theres been some debate about this in previous posts. I personally wouldn't risk it - a pleco mouth looks quite raspy and could damage an axies skin if the pleco is so minded to have a try.

2) The bottom line is - If it fits an axies mouth, they will try to eat it.

Use the search function to search thru the axie forum archives - there should be a fair bit of info on plecs and axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!