Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping worms!

M

madeleine

Hi there
happy.gif

As I'm preparing things before I get my axie (the tank cycle thing) I'm also thinking about having a worm farm..

Question is - how you you guys have yours?

We have heaps of worms in our garden and stuff, but I'm not sure if I should have a tank specifically for the axie. (We only got the house a couple of months ago and I don't know if the previous owners were as anti-chemicals as we are)

So yeah, some worm farming tips please!

happy.gif

Thanks!

A

anne-marie

I got a worm farm from Bunnings for $20.00. Easy to carry, easy to keep, enough worms for a long time. Don't put citrus or meat into it. I think pretty much everything else is okay. Needs to be kept in a cool area, cool room temp seems fine. Wash the worms before you feed.

D

deanna

I was also thinking about having a worm farm. i have got a huge garden out the back of my house but im not sure if the people b4 us used any fertilisers in the garden. Is there any difference between white worms and red worms?? What worms are best to feed my axolotls??

R

rheann

I believe that Earthworms are better for feeding as they are mostly recommended above all else.

J

joan

Deanna, you can try any type you find. Just find out which ones your axies like best.

J

jennifer

In most cases, the worms you find in the yard cannot be "farmed". You may be able to keep them in a tub, but most outdoor species reproduce too slowly for farming to be practical. (The exception are the red ringed worms that you might find in shallow debris like a compost bed.)
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1