Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How old is my Axi?

P

pamela

Hi,Im a Newbie. I got my wee axi just a week ago, can anyone tell me how old she might be. She is just 8cm.
Thankyou

C

claire

id say it is around 4 months or so old. but it could be much older or younger depending on its growth rate. its growth rate will depend on the amount of food fed and the temperature it has been kept at. will you be able to post pics of your axie in the gallery? we love to see pics of everyones axies :D

P

pamela

Hi Claire, she was 7cm a week and a half ago when i got her. The place i got her from was feeding her prawns, but i have put her on blood worms and daphnia, which she loves and would eat all day if i let her. she is very lively, and comical, hanging from her wee tree and climbing on her rocks. i will be putting her photo in the gallery soon. I have read a couple of posts on gravel type and i am a bit confused. I have small gravel, she did get a couple in her belly but passed them through no problem, so i have got her a bigger gravel type, but now im scared she might swallow the bigger piece and have problems. what kind of gravel would u recommend?
Pam and Amoxy.

A

anne-marie

I have gravel. Now I have to get rid of the gravel. It is a pain.
violent.gif

I have been swayed over to the side of sand in preference to gravel. I just have to find some. If you don't want sand, you could use any stones bigger that (I think) pea size - I think I read that at www.axolotl.org.

Oh and welcome! I think you are the first axy owner from Scotland I have seen on this forum.
happy.gif

C

claire

well im using large rocks.maybe you would like to try the coarse type of aquarium sand if you like gravel? when i get my new tank ill be changing my substrate to sand because i actually like the look of it. ill be placing some of the rocks i have now in for them to stand on because they love them.lol.

(Message edited by clairey_beary on June 09, 2005)

N

natasha

I use river stones and haven't had any problems. She has tried to pick one up in her mouth but it was too big.

A

andre

Axolotls tend to eat just about anything that fits in their mouths (may it be food, snails, stones, whatever ...)

Depending on what they swallow it takes longer to go through and sometimes it could even get stuck (as mentioned above) which is definitely not healthy for them ...

As for your setup, I'd suggest that you go for something that definitely won't get swallowed (i.e. large stones) or something that goes straight through (i.e. sand).

I'm using 0,5 - 1.0 mm grain quartz sand and never had any problems with my 30 axies
happy.gif

P

pamela

Thanks all for the advice. i think i might get the large stones this weekend, while im out getting new things for her tank. Thats a little pic of baby amoxy, i will get some better ones to put in the gallery.

P

pamela

Hi guys, I have spent the afternoon here watching baby amoxi get rid of loads of gravel. Poor wee soul, i now have large pebbles, wich she seems to enjoy.
Thanks for all the advice, she must have been in agony.

F

fish

hi
i would also like to know how old my axie is. he is about 15,16cm long and i just got him 3 days ago. i hope you can help me, thanks fish face.

R

rita

Can anyone tell me how old all of mine are??
Malcom: 30cm(beautiful fish :D )
Desdamona: 23cm (has had a fungus for a v. long time now)
Tybalt: 17cm
Kate: 15cm (floats all the time)
Oberon: 10cm (male who lost his gills on one side)

J

joan

I hope you're not keeping the 3 smaller ones with the two larger ones! That could be why he lost all his gills!!

Around 20 cm is adult size. But again, they can be adults and be smaller. There's really no telling unless you know the exact date of hatching. They all have different growth rates.

R

rita

They are all in the same tank, but it's a very large tank, and poor Oberon was already misiing half his gills when I bought him. It was why I actually bought him, because he was the smallest and most beaten-up. His gills are growing back now. :D

A

anne-marie

Where do the names come from Rita - they sound a bit Shakespearian?
dizzy.gif

R

rita

All the names ARE from Shakespear's plays. Malcom = Macbeth
Desdamona = Othello
Tybalt(who is actually a girl) = Romeo & Juliette
Oberon = Midsummer Night's Dream
Kate = Taming of the Shrew

lols. I was wondering how long it would take some one to notice that.
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!