Help does my axie look normal??

D

deanna

i have a pitcure of my sick axie (well i think he is sick). he has been like this (bent like a banana) for a couple of months now and i dont know what to do. a couple of people have said that he might have eaten some pebbles (a bit bigger than the size of a pea). i fed him today and about 15min l8r (this might sound gross) he deposited a small poop on the bottom of the tank (he hasnt done that for ages) i thought he was going to die cause i thought he couldnt poop because of the pebble in his belly. can some one tell me if my axie looks normal. i have talked to my local pet store but they dont know anything.
39483.jpg

No that's not usual. I think that as Brian Henry posted somewhere on this forum, you have a calcium deficiency, causing the back to bow and the stomach to hit the ground. What are you feeding?

Thanks for the info Anne-Marie. I feed them bloodworms, beef liver and beef heart, i have just started feeding them worms and beef stir-fry strips. The thing is my other axie eats the same food and he doesnt look like this.

Deanna, you should try cutting back on the liver and heart and only feed them occasionaly. I do not know what everyone else sees as occasional but I feed beef heart once a week.

If your axies like to eat earthworms then feed them most of the time and you can not go wrong. I feed mine crickets as a staple diet because she refuses earthworms.

Maybe putting her in the fridge will help the gravel to pass? (Please wait for someone to confirm that I could be wrong!!)

Is the bluey colour we can see gravel? that looks like quite a bit of gravel in his tummy.

Mine have that bluish colour in them. You can only see it in my albino, because his skin is almost transparent. It's just the internal organs.

Deanna - How old is that axolotl? How long have you noticed it is bent? Was it a slow process or was it just bent like that "over night"?

Indiana University has a FAQ and this is one of the questions and answers from it:
Q. We house axolotls for research purposes. Several of these have developed scoliosis. Some cases occur in the thoracic and lumbar regions but most appear in the base of the tail and cause severe deviation of the tail. Have you encountered this? Is this possibly a nutritional problem or could it be a genetic or developmental occurrence?
A. We have seen this, though not recently. A few might acquire the deformity while confined in their jelly coats before hatching, and there could be a genetic abnormality, but I think what you're seeing is probably nutritional, especially the thoracic and lumbar problems. It may indicate a calcium deficiency.

http://www.indiana.edu/~axolotl/axolotls/faq2.html

That is the only info I have read on bent axolotls.

How long has it been in a separate container so you could monitor its bowel movements?

Mammal meat is hard for them to digest, I too would recommend cutting back on the meat and feeding more worms. If you live in the US you might want to consider ordering some salmon pellets they are a very good staple food.

Natasha - Thanks i will cut back on the heart, liver and just feed them for a treat. i hurd you can raise your own worms, is that easy to do? No the blue in his belley cant be gravel cause mine is white.
happy.gif

Cynthia -I have had them for 6 months, when i got them they were only about 2inches long. he has only been like that for about 2 months. When i first noticed it i put him in a seperate container for about 3-4 weeks. Guess i will just have to wait a bit longer someone told me that it can take a while. I know someone that works in a salmon farm, would those salmon pellets be ok to feed them, if they are soft? And thanks for the info i will have to go and have a look at that site
happy.gif

Deanna - I would think they would be ok. Here is info on the pellets from Rangen for comparison.
These are the pellets that the Axolotl colony feeds.

SOFT MOIST DIETS. This diet offers not only soft texture, but a high degree of palatability as well as improved nutrient quality which results in high weight gain, excellent food conversion, and improved survival. The feed can be stored without refrigeration providing added cost saving and feeding convenience.

Calculated Analysis
Protein 44%
Fat 18%
Fiber < 5%
Ash < 8%
http://www.rangen.com/rangen011.htm

do you think that my axie will stay this way? or is it best to start again with a new one?? i want to keep them but not if the are going to be in pain.

Just being bent may not cause pain. If it is eating and other wise acting ok I would keep it and see how it does. It appears to be eating well.

(Message edited by cynorita on July 20, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back