Air Breathing

A

anne

My Axie can breath out of water for a long time before going back into the water, is that normal?

Axolotls do have lungs but if it is going on to land on purpose then you may have a tiger salamander or a morphing axolotl. Is you axolotl changing form at all e.g. gills retracting, any chance of a pic.

how did your axie get onto land though, if forced to go on land then it is normal for them to be able to breath. but if it tries to go onto land then it could be tiger salamander

he gets up there himself, if i level it back out again and give him no land, will i know when to give it to him if he is morphing? i thought he was but his gills had just shrunk and now they r comming back

So you have a formation in your tank were the substrate makes a hill and land. Also you say that his gills went smaller then back to normal if this is the situation then your probably don’t have a morphing axie or tiger salamander. And about the gills they could have went like this from being eaten or sickness, Still it would be good to see a pic.

thats the best pic i could get, i didnt think i could get a slamander here, in mandurah wa, apparently they are never found here

nope you cant and i dont think yours is either, and you have to become a member to post pics

Axolotls here are entirely aquatic - get rid of that land, it's only going to stress him.

To register go to the top of the page and you will see underneath caduca.org thing there is yellow righting (log out, topics etc) there forth is register.

39243.jpg

Yep that’s an axie, I would fill the tank up right away. what happened to his tail? (a bit off topic) I didn’t know you could post if you weren’t a member oh well you learn something new every day.

(Message edited by archino on July 13, 2005)

Anne-get some dechlorinated water in there now. Axolotls in this part of the world don't morph at all, they stay aquatic. What sort of a set up do you have - filtration wise? How long have you had him?

accident with a feeder fish, heeling nicely tho, yeh its got 10 inches of water in one side of th tank with a hill, but i think ill take the hill out

Anne - Could you take a picture of it while it is in the water so we can see a better view it?

Feeder fish that are large enough to remove the end of a tail are not a good idea. Feeder fish are not a good idea in general as they can carry parasites and diseases.

You should read caudatas sister site http://www.axolotl.org for axolotl care info and browse this forum.

(Message edited by cynorita on July 13, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back