Advice needed for a newbie please

P

pamela

Hi I have a little axi, about 10cm. I have just rehomed another axi. He is just over 10 and a half inches. Frank my big fella is going in to his new tank. Could any one advice me what size little amoxy needs to be so she can join him.

HI Pamela
happy.gif
I love the picture in your profile! The red plants look outstanding next to his cute pink color
happy.gif
From what the nice people have told me on this site is that they should be roughly the same size so they won't pick on each other. The little one might nip at the big one, or the big one might nip at the little one. I have an axie the same color as yours, and he is missing half of his front right arm because one of his tank mates before I got him nipped the whole thing off, and it has been growing back beautifully now because I keep him by himself to give him a chance to heal. I have three Axies total. I was thinking of naming him Titus after The Shakespearien play, because the Character Titus cut his own hand off in the play, it was very symbolic and emotional. You could put a glass devider in the tank to keep them seperated until they are the same size or close to the same size. Could you post some more pictures of your tank with your axies? I love the red plants! Simply beatuiful!

Hi Rheann, thank you so much for the advice, i had an idea that they would have to be about the same size. I love the naming of your axi, very appropriate. I love that they can regenerate.
Im actually right in the middle of moving my boy Frank into a 4ft tank, its great . I will post some pics once he is settled.
Thanks for being helpfull
Pam , amoxy and Frank

Your welcome Pamela
happy.gif
and thank you
happy.gif
I can't wait to see the pictures! i will keep an eye out for them
happy.gif

Pamela - As large as Frank is I wouldn't try putting the young one in the same tank until it is about a year old (8 inches).

If your tank is large enough you might want to put in a divider and let them share the same tank yet "alone" until the small one reaches a size where it doesn't risk as much injury by Frank should he decide he likes living alone.

hi cynthia, thanks again for the advice, youve been great. His tank is 4ft. If this is large enough, where do i get a divider and what do they look like.

a 4foot tank would be fine for two. You can purchase a divider at any pet store. Or if you can't, you can create your own by using a piece of hard plastic sheet, or netting, and securing it across the tank, making 2 sections.

Thanks Cynthia. I have decided to keep amoxy in her own tank for the moment as Frank who didnt have a good start to life, seems to be really enjoying his new tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back