Axie blues...

K

kristine

Hi all. I'm a new owner. I had to move my axies to our basement to keep them cool for summer. I would much rather have them up here with me in a more pleasant environment to enjoy them. I thought about the fan cooling trick, but I don't think it would cool the water enough here. One of the axolotls had small fungus type patches on it when we got it, and I was hoping the cooler temps in the basement would help. But now he has a large belly. How do you know if you're overfeeding or a more serious problem has cropped up? I guess I should start the salt baths since it's been about 2 weeks and the patches are still there.

how many worms are you feeding your axie and how often? do you have a pic you can put in this post so we can have a look to make sure what your axie has is fungus?

thanx

I will see if I can snap a picture. My camera doesn't get very good closeups, but I'll try. I'm feeding soft salmon pellets from the breeder. They love'em.

okay thanks.how often do you feed them? if you have a magnifying glass, they are great for making closeups clearer.
happy.gif

Axies are opportunistic feeders so they will eat almost anytime they can; however, as far as I know overeating is not a problem for axolotls because even if they do eat to much they will regurgitate the food. How old is he? Maybe he is a she and just has a belly full of eggs. And as far as the fungus, if it is infact a fungus, you should get him into a salt bath to help get rid of it. There are lots of discussions on how to do these.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back