Odder than usual behaviour

T

tristen

alrighty, i have had Mugatu and Charlie (Moogs and Char) for a couple of months now and love the little dudes to bits.. had a few issues with them initially but i have set them up in a new home which they seem awesomely happy in.

today Mugatu has started doing some interesting things he doesn't normally do. such as playing dead and floating on top of the water all limp, standing the in corner of my tank vertically just chilling out and moving around the tank much more than he normally does. he had been a mostly chilled yet often time skittish fellow up until today.

now, Charlie seems fine. am i seeing some change in his personality? is he stressed? is he exuberant about his new abode?

please, enlighten me!

Axolotls do "hangout", which is the free floating with limbs out to the sides. This is normal behavior. I have one axolotl who does this a lot more than the others.

Generally as long as the floating is done right side up and they can go to the bottom of the tank if they wish, there is nothing to worry about.

sweet. good to hear it. i didnt think anything was up. just kinda curious...

they keep coming up with new ways to mess with me hehe.. devious dudes that they are.

thanks.

my albino axie(Bino) has started floating on his(or her) side. Is this normal? Also, it's insides are black,is that ok? Help me.

my axies insides are black, its their intestines or something. when my golden started floating i put him in a ice cream container with just enough water to cover him and stuck him in the fridge overnight. but thats only cuz i waz really scared hed die. what part of NZ you from? im in tauranga and weve got that gay civil emergency for the floods haha, ohh the excitement!

Christina - Put your axolotl in a shallow container with just enough water to cover its back. This will help it to stay on its feet.

Put the container with the axolotl in the fridge.
If it has not righted its self by tomorrow, you might want to try doing a little soft belly rubbing to try and work the gas bubble out. Try not to touch the axolotl too much though.

Put some water in the fridge so you have water the same temp to do water changes with.

Ah cool, that top question answered my own question I asked in another post.

Do they float up the top just to get a diffrent view, just because they can?!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back