Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding juviniles

G

grant

Well I am going to b picking up my new oxolotl very soon and I was wondering what I should feed it. I am getting it as a juvenile, not exactly sure how big it is tho. Ive heard that frozen brine shrip can be good for them and small guppies once in a while are good. I also heard earthworms are good, but where should I get them, I dont have any around my house and pet stores around here don't have them (my girlfriend works at a pet store). So what kind of foods would you recomend. thank you.
Grant

B

brian

Earthworms from a bait shop, forzen bloodworms and/or brine shrimp, any sort of sinking fish pellets that aren't vegetable based. Don't feed them guppies though, they are major disease carriers. Unless you want to breed them yourself from healthy stock.

A

anne-marie

LIve black worms are good too, especially if the juvies have fairly small mouths.

J

joan

Earthworms are a great staple. I get mine from the gas station. I use butterworms, waxworms, bloodworms, crickets, etc as treats on occasion.

J

jennifer

If you tell us what country you are in, that would help, Grant. A lot of foods (like blackworms) are available in some parts of the world but not others. Worms are sold at bait shops.

G

grant

I live in California, US. But I know I can get earthworns at a bait and tackle store, but should I feed those to my Axolotl? But what other types of common foods would you guys recomend?

C

cynthia

I feed bait worms, they sell several different kinds where I purchase them. Mine like the smaller "garden worms" (24 to a container) better than the larger worms of the same variety that are marked "bait worms".

They also sell "red tiger worms" and I haven't tried any of those. I think I read on the board here that someone's axolotls didn't like "red tiger worms".

I also feed the soft moist salmon pellets (you can purchase them from Indiana university axolotl colony or Michael Shrome). Once a month I feed 1 small (earthworm sized) slice of salmon fillet.

I would not feed guppies (Or any other live feeder fish) because it is too easy to introduce parasites and disease. And live fish in the tank can nip (sometimes off) the axolotls gills.

My juveniles are eating garden worm sections and the small sized salmon pellets. I was feeding them a few bloodworms too until they were big enough to eat the garden worm sections.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1