Cannibal

T

tristan

my friend recently got 2 small axies but one is slightly bigger than the other. Anyhoe the next morning he noticed that the smaller axie (magabi) was missing a front leg... is it possible the bigger axie (hitler) has eaten his leg off!?!?? are these facinating creatures cannibals!?!?!? Furthermore the leg appears to be growing back.. the stump is getting bigger, so good news for magabi :D

Axolotls may bite other axolotls but this is mainly observed when they are juveniles. This happened to me but the bitten axie recovered. The limb may take over a month to grow back depending on how old your friends axie is.

yes. these fascinating creatures are cannibals. it is particularly pronounced when they are young, but i have had many adult on adult cannibalism incidents. the size difference is also a big contributor to these incidents.

indeed, it is good news that such cannibalistic creatures are so good at regeneration. the only thing to watch for is the possibility of infection during the regrowth period.

it may be worth separating them until the leg is fully regrown, as i have noticed a high incidence of chomps that occur during regeneration. i suspect the wounded/recovering animal either moves awkwardly and prompts a prey response in its tankmate or is unable to move fast enough to get away when an attempted munch occurs, or both.

good luck, e

I am currently raising young Axolotls and have found this to be an issue. I had a near death incident the other day where I found one young Axolotl had been viciously attacked - all its legs and even parts of its tail were missing. This was a one off incident. The poor thing wasn't even moving when I picked it out of the water. I have moved it to its own recovery tank and it is now doing well, slowly regenerating itself. There was no size factor in this attack, this axolotl was one of the larger ones in the tank.

i had an 'axie' and a weatherloach thing in a tank together and the axies legs kept dissapearing...

other species should not be kept in the same tank as an axie as the other species will eat and bite the axies. as you have found out for yourself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back