Cycle question [i will do it tomorrow please help]

K

kungfoi

I just bought a new tank[long75cm wide40cm tall40cm] with two hang on filter,bio-ring.I had read cycle thing from caudata.org,many thread and the thing that leah said but i want to know how should i start the cycle because this is new tank should i put pellet fish food or anything,do i need to put it every day,how much i should put pellet fish food in and i need to remove the pellet fish food out or not [it can cause worm when i give food for my fish and i didn't take it out,thailand is very hot it can cause many disease but i will have chiller soon].I don't want to use fish or chemical to cycle please help and thank you.

you might want to cut down on your filters too. it sounds like ther will be lots of water flow, something axies dont like too much hehe

i already read the thing that joan mention but i want to know should i remove waste out because i read the tread about a white worm that come from brine shrimp and it's very annoying. i don't have brine shrimp but i have frozen bloodworm[this one can cause worm to because i give this one to my fish and i saw white and red worm] what should i do please help this is the first time that i do cycle the tank.can i use fish pellet?and thanks sharn,joan

yeah you can use a fish pellet. leave it in there otherwise youll take out the bacteria thats helping to cycle your tank when you remove the pellet. im sure youve already read that it can take up to or over a month to completely cycle, and from personal experience they dont like it! they go all angry and ugly. maybe put about five or six medium size pellets in there. enough for a decent amount of bacteria to feed off

(Message edited by sharn on April 26, 2005)

(Message edited by sharn on April 26, 2005)

thanks sharn.so i have to put about five or six pellet in it and leave it in there and i have to check ammonia but if ammonia level doesn't change so i have to put another five or six pellet in it again this is ok or not?

Kungfoi, Just be patient. You have to wait for the pellets to break down and start rotting. It would be easier to kind of mash them up. I'm not sure what you mean about bloodworms/brine shrimp causing 'worms'. The food itself is not going to cause a parasite infection. The parasite must be introduced either with the worm culture or on its own. So either your food source is contaminated, or these worms are being introduced with newly acquired plants/animals, or there are insects in your house that are laying eggs in your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back